1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Wild Cat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MarcSmith, Feb 11, 2005.

1. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Took delivery of a new 52" scag wildcat with the 25 kawi....today....Nice machine...already took off the roll bar and the seat belt... Nice addittion to our 61" tiger cub 2 year old .....I just need to sell the 72" groundmaster and I'll be happy...

Comfy seat....
  2. cooksjr537

cooksjr537 LawnSite Member

marcsmith have you had any problems out of your scag before, do they cut good and let me know how that wild cat does.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Can I ask why you took off the rollbar AND the seat belt? Don't have a ZTR (yet) and I wouldn't want one without a rollbar/seatbelt? Does it get in the way, incomfortable, not fit inside trailer? Just curious..thx
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Is that a tiger cub with a 61'' deck or a turf tiger??? . Im hope to here moe from you as you get a season on the wildcat. I know the wild cat has the smaller pumps and doesnt have a drive shaft to drive the deck. Me personally I kind of like the belt better. I could change the belt quicker than I could a universal joint. And Im not sure about the smaller pumps, they are the same as the tiger cub and I have got about 375 hours on mine and no problems so far. congraddys on the purchase and keep me posted on how you like the wildcat
  5. MarcSmith

Our tiger cub never had a roll bar....or a seat belt. I'm sure the rollbar/seatbelt is a new osha requirement, like all the safety switches....I feel the roll bar would get in the way around trees. I have visions of the roll bar prunning the lower branches, and I see the guys complaing that if there is a roll bar, they'd want some sort of a sun shade....The seat belt would not get worn and would end up winding itself around a belt or pulley and screwing something else up....

The toro's and exmarks have a roll bar that folds so it would fit in the trailers. this one sits about 12" above the head of the rider. I doubt it would be a problem with most enclosed trailers.....All our equipment is stored in a garage on campus so the only clearance issue i have would be the tree branches.

I have never seen a ZTR rollover....but I guess its all personal preference....I think some of the safety switches have gotten out of hand, I mean you can't even lift a cheek to let one rip without the machine cutting off...On my personal equipment, I have disabled the safety interlocks, but no one else uses it either and I don't loan them out.

A 52" deck with a 25hp kawi. It should be a cutting machine...But I'll keep all parties informed.

The 61" did a fine job on the fescue up here and we used it some on the Bermuda football field and cut as low as 1 3/4" with out problems., as long as its was swooth you'd get no scalping...
  6. MarcSmith

the chassis and engine and pumps are the same as the tiger cub/wildcat. as seen on scag.com

but the wildcat has the optional highflow cannister ait filter, aux hydro cooler, larger front wheels, advantage deck, and the extra comfy seat.

I got the 25 kawi and 52" deck...Th eonly problem I had with the 61" tiger cub was the split pulleys. I never understood why they did not go with a cast pulley. the sealed bearing in the split pully froze up and ended up destroying the pulley as well..but that was after 280 hours...so no real biggie...
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Ahhhhh.....yes can see were low lying branches could be a problem. Thanks for the input. Something for me to think about...
  8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

How do your Scags cut in wet grass? Do they clump very much?
  9. Diesel84

Diesel84 LawnSite Member

I just bought a 52" scag wildcat 2 days ago to replace my 48" walkbehind. It looks like a really nice machine and its gonna work good with my 61" tiger. I like the fact that its alot smaller than my tiger but still effective enough.
  10. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

The advantage ( disadvantage ) decks on the newer scags dont cut worth a crap in wet grass but if you put bobcat offset high lift blades on everything from a 52 in deck up it helps a little