1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Wildcat can only run a low lift blade?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jerry and Sons, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

I purchased a Scag Wildcat last year with the new deck. Last year the machine ran great but this season it could not cut grass for a ****. My dealer looked at the machine and just about replaced the entire motor.
    When I got the machine back the problems were not fixed, so they replaced the motor (27 Kohler) with a new one and the machine still cuts out. I was told that the motor bogging out was due to using Highlift blades:dizzy: .

Has anyone ever had this issue?
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

That's bull. I Run a 27 hp Kohler on a 60" Lazer with high lifts and it has more than adequate power. That shouldn't cause an engine to cut out. Sounds like you need to find another dealer because he is grabbing at straws trying to fix your problem. In fact I had an old AS series Exmark Lazer with a 23 hp Kohler and always ran high lifts, it did pretty good though it wasn't a power house, it sure didnt cut out. High lifts do take a little more power but never enough to make one cut out.

B O L O G N A is what I think of your dealers response. I'll refrain from saying BS.

A Velocity deck doesn't pull as much power as many decks out there due to the open design and you really need high lifts in Northern Grasses and in the transition zone. The Ultra Cut sound like an airplane when you kick those high lifts in, now it draws some power but not enough to cause the type problems such as you describe. The 27 hp Hustler Super Z was a bit underpowered but that was because of the pumps/motors.
  3. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Ive never heard of this issue before. Are u sure u dont have any different problems with the mower?
  4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Seems like some of the 27hp kohlers are acting like 30hp kohlers
  5. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

The mower seems to cut out when going up hill with the blades engaged. Mower just about shuts off. Any ideas? The machine only has 675 hours on it.
  6. MowJoeLandscaping

MowJoeLandscaping LawnSite Member

Check your clutch. The clutch grounds out sending electrical current up the crankshaft. It is acting like an arc welder. I'll try and get some pics up of the scored crankshaft and oil pan. The mower will begin to bog, then it will leak oil, then it will die. I just had this happen. Scag didn't help at all!!!!! Imagine that.
  7. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

I've got a turf tiger, 27 koh, 61"...and it runs like a charm...until I ordered and installed WIDE, high lift blades...don't know why i chose wide ones,,,i just did...anyway...i'm a big guy...280 dry, and my 12 acres has some serious hills...the TT would haul me up there, cutting all the way...only in VERY high, thick grass would it slow...just a bit....UNTIL i put those wide high lifts (WHL) on...i could literally feel the HP being sucked out of the engine. using WHL's on level ground in normal grass it cuts ok...with regular high lift (not wide) it cuts any and all ....but those dang WHL's, in combination with my "body by corona" and the terrain,,,,well, it ain't so good.

JOSLAWN LawnSite Member

Even with the V deck using high lifts will bog the 27 kohler. I have 31hp. vanguard and it bogs at times not real bad but noticable.For some reason it takes more juice to run a scag than other machines.My dealer has taken scag and a toro using exact same engine and the scag drops rpms dramacticly over the toro.
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I know of one LCO here that runs 2 Turf Tigers with 27 Kohlers and high lifts Velocity deck. Says he has no problems and we have lots of hills. And the Turf Tiger is heavier. It should bog slightly in very thick grass or up hills but not enough to be a problem.
  10. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Check for water in the fuel filter.