Scag wildcat keeps blowing fuses

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TruSomethingOrOther, Jul 23, 2013.

1. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

The two fuse holder right by the key, that bottom fuse keeps blowing. Only does it when it's hot. No rhyme or reason behind it. The repair shop can't duplicate the problem. What is on that circuit that would trigger this? It can't be this difficult to diagnose. I hope anyways.

2. Stonewellmark

Stonewellmark LawnSite Member

Try replaceing the fuse holder itself.....corrosion. A friend with a turf tiger had the same problem. It would blow the fuse at random. No rime nor reason. He replaced the fuse holders...problem solved.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You would think scag would fix this problem....what is with them:hammerhead:

4. TruSomethingOrOther

The mower only has 44 hours on it. It shouldn't be doing this, at all. Although the battery does gain corrosion pretty quickly.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Your right unless you have been washing it or in the rain. Better start looking for a short somewhere. Just shake all the cables and connectors

6. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have had the same proble for 5 years. The bottom fuse near key blows all the time. Does anyone know what that fuse is for? Could it be my problem with it takin 10seconds to start rafter it keeps cranking?

7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

It shouldn't be too difficult to hit the Scag site and download a schematic ( that's a wiring diagram for you electrically challenged) !
    Should tell ya exactly what fer.

8. TruSomethingOrOther

I don't mow in the rain and it's stored in an enclosed trailer. It's 44 hours old lol I don't wash it. It's still at the shop. I'm probably just gonna get it back from the shop and fix it myself. Keep the comments coming.

9. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The usual suspect for blowing fuses on Scags is the weak fuse holder assys they use..
    However..your mower is prolly too new to have this problem..
    Sometimes new mowers have new problems..

10. TruSomethingOrOther

Gee, thanks. Lol