Scag Wildcat or Exmark Lazer Advantage Series?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CuttinUP, Feb 9, 2008.

1. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

Went and looked at the Scag Wildcat and the Exmark Lazer AS yesterday. Both are the same price. The Scag had 61" Velocity deck, 26 hp Liquid Cooled Kawasaki. The Exmark has the 60" Ultra Cut deck, 28 hp Kawasaki.
    Which one do you think would be the better choice? I am leaning to the Exmark.

2. A-1 Affordable Lawn Care

A-1 Affordable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I bought the exact same scag in the beginning of the season last year and I love mine eats right though tall grass. I haven't had any problem out of this machine. I'm a big fan of striping lawns and with the scag strip kit I'm very satisfied although the exmark has a strip kit that you can control w/o getting off the mower which is really nice.

3. Grassbustin

Grassbustin LawnSite Member

HUSTLER!!!

4. CuttinUP

No Thanks! Quality of cut is very important to me and my customers. Besides the Hustler Dealer here bites. They sell all of the lower grades, about 6 different ones. I would get an Everide before a hustler.

5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get a Badboy they are cheap mowers!!!!!!!!!! built like Tanks!!!!!!!! Just compare them to anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha I was the first one to say it this time.:hammerhead::dizzy:

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Good job! You had to be fast go get that in.

7. tacoma200

Man it's hard to go wrong with that choice. I'll just talk about the decks. The Ultra Cut will leave a smoother cut and do great under most conditions. If I were in a posh neighborhood I might lean that way. The Velocity will leave a very good cut, but on mornings with dew, in thick grass, tall grass or other difficult circumstances it will probably be much more flexible. The Velocity will not clump as easy. It will leave somewhat longer clippings but fans them out well so they disappear into the grass. I do have to scrape my Ultra Cut much more often than the Velocity (which rarely needs it). Both are great machines. I find my self grabbing the Scag more often because I don't want to scrape the deck. If I were mowing weekly well maintained lawns only then the Ultra Cut would be a be my choice. Hope this makes sense. The Velocity will just handle a lot more grass in tougher conditions while the Ultra Cut will leave a perfectly manicured cut under normal conditions. I have put hundreds of hours on both deck this is my conclusion.

8. CuttinUP

Thanks for the reply tacoma200, That's kinda what I thought too. The Lazer AS in 08 has the heavy duty canister air filter, the larger rear tires and the foot assist deck lift pedal. I think it is a lot of mower for the $.

9. tacoma200

You bet, it's one of the best bargins out there. And I'm hearing nothing but good about the 28 Kawasaki.

Only problem I had with the AS was the front tires going flat since they still use air filled tires (I think?), I put a bottle of slime in them and never had another problem.

10. CuttinUP

The front caster tires are the flat free tires this year.:clapping: