Scag wildcat or Exmark lazier E

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Rjones4029, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Rjones4029

Rjones4029 LawnSite Member
    from NC

Good evening,
    I'm presently mowing a little over 3 acres with a JD X320. It's been a good mower but I've picked up another 7 acres so am looking at ZTRs.

Presently, I've narrowed it down to a 54" deck as two of the properties layout at about 1 1/2 acres but the others are 4 and 3.

My choices at this point are a Scag Tiger Cat for $8200 or a Exmark LaZer E for $8000. Both have the same 0 percent financing for 48 months and the origination fees are within a hundred bucks. scag dealer is 15 minutes away and Exmark is 45. you all know the spec details better than me, smaller pumps on Scag, Velocity deck, bigger tires and perhaps a better seat. Exmark has more warranty at 4 years, bigger pumps, and the 2014 has closed the gap on the tire sizes.

It seems like a coin flip? Could some of you who have owned both please offer real world experiences that I can't see on the spec sheets? By the way, there is a Hustler X 1 for sale about an hour away but they want $8699 and 2 percent origination fee on the financing so I didn't think it would bump both the other brands.
    Thanks in advance for your time.

2. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Scag. Better deck and all around machine.

3. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

What Ashgrove said.

4. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Demo all three, as they each have their differences.

Consider Gravely, too.

I'd bump up the deck width to 60/61", though. You get more trimside overhang, yet, it's not overly cumbersome on smaller properties, like a 72".