Scag Wildcat Pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crhoades68, Sep 10, 2009.

1. crhoades68

crhoades68 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'm a newer lawn care business owner and have been using used equipment. I'm ready to make my first new major purchase (ztr) and am looking primarily at the Scag Wildcat with a 52" deck and 26 HP Kawi liquid-cooled engine with striping kit. I would like to know what others have paid and/or if you believe another ztr (that stripes) is of equal or better value. I've enjoyed reading many posts and hope to be able to contribute in the near future.

Thanks for your help!

2. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

Scag makes a good ZTR. I don't know anything about the Scag Wildcat, we run the Scag 61" Turf Tiger and it is a tank. My second choice would probably be a Grasshopper, we previously owned a 61" model 225 and it was a good mower for it's intended purpose. I can't give you a price for a new Scag, but I'm sure it is not cheap. Here is a website with some prices to compare with the ones that you get quoted. (http://actionmowerinc.com/eq3.html) Be advised that the webpage looks like it has not been updated since 2006.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  3. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

If you are close to this dealer you should check them out. Link

4. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

i priced that mower this year. it was 8800 for the kawi 26LC and 350 for the striper kit

5. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

I just demo'd one this past weekend and cut about 10 acres total. I wouldn't buy the L/C engine because the radiator sucks up dry cut grass like crazy. Dealer told me it's worse with leaves. I was mowing a 5 acre pasture and had to double cut because it had been 6 weeks since it was cut nad the temp gauge starting going up and the whole screen was covered with grass. I shut mower off and clean be the radiator was pretty well clogged also. I finished with no problems but had to blow out radiator when I got home. Other than that problem I loved the mower and scag will be the next mower I purchase, just not liquid cooled. Priced of that mower was $9899.00 new I might be able to get it less because it's a demo and will be coming up forsale in the next couple of weeks.

6. crhoades68

from Indiana

Thanks so much for the pricing information! Pricing seems to be all over the board and I wanted a better idea when I get into negotiations.

I've now heard about /radiator screen and air filter issues in several different threads with the Liquid Cooled Kawi engines. Has this been a problem for everyone or just for recent model engines?

7. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I was priced $10800 when I was looking 3 years ago. I saw the Bad Boy 52" 26hp lc kawasaki priced at $7695 and $249 for a striping kit and went for it. I have never looked back, saved a bundle, ended up becoming a dealer for them....lol. The suspension is awesome, and not to mention the Michigan seat standard. I would recommend the extra foot assist option ($179 if ordered), as the auto deck lift is a little slow for most commercial cutters, and its nice to have the added speed. Noticed the BB had a stouter deck, and was easier to work on with a more simplistic design.

8. crhoades68

from Indiana

When looking at the Bad Boy website I did not see a striping kit. How and where is it installed.

Also, do you have any issues with debris on the radiator or air filter screens?

9. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

To answer your question, and not hijack your thread with Badboy half truths. You should be able to get a 52" 25 air cooled Wildcat for around $8499.00. Maybe a bit more less as some dealers are wanting to move some machines before the winter months. What retro won't tell you is with the Scag your getting foldable ROPS,flat free front tires, deck foot assist, a helluva better warranty,Adjustable handles,and an adjustable front baffle on the cutter deck for different cutting conditions,and local dealer support (which means everything)and alot better resale value, Standard on the Scag verses not getting any of it on the Badboy. In my opinion and it just that "my opinion" you looking at the mower you should be looking at in the Scag. I owned a 52" Wildcat and loved it. Very Very nice machine. Great for every type of mowing. I put over 600 hours on mine and the only thing I did to it was replace a belt. Scag quality simply the best! :usflag::usflag::waving:

10. Kykutter

Kykutter LawnSite Member
    from ky

10,800 for a Wildcat 3 years ago?? No freaking way. Maybe a Turf Tiger.

I am picking up a new Wildcat 61in. 26lc Kawi. in the morning for $8500 tax and all. I buy in the fall or near the end of the season because that seems to be the best time to get a deal.
    Replacing a Wildcat with 1800 hrs. in 3 years use, idler bearing replaced about 2 months ago is the only problem other than wear and tear items.
    Since you deal in BB`s what is a 60 in. Lightning selling for now, and don`t quote dealer price.