Scag Wildcat question...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Oct 29, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Whenever I have my leaf vac system hooked up, it takes almost full throttle to get the mower engaged without stalling. Has anyone else noticed this?

Scag Wildcat, 52", 25HP Kaw, Scag Bagger/Blower.
    12hrs total time.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont own the leaf collection system for my scag but I have a powerflow system on a Johndeere thats ran via a belt from the mower deck. It does take a lil bit to get it going from a stop to full speed,also the engine may not be broke in real good yet and down a lil on horsepower and torque just yet

3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Tiger Cub with the triple bagger. If the engine is cold it will stall in a heartbeat with the blower hooked up, especially if you try to engage at low rpm. For me I've found half throttle works pretty good for engaging the clutch. Sometimes I'll 'double clutch' it to keep the engine from stalling. Once everything is warmed up nice the clutch will engage with no ill effects at idle.

4. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just picked up my used 48" Tiger Cub 3 weeks ago, but the grass catcher on last week. No problem stalling, even when engaging the blades just above idle. This is an older design (2000 model) with 4 paddles in the blower. I understand that the new blowers have 6 paddles, which may load it down more. You don't want to engage the clutch when it's running too fast or you risk frying the clutch.