scag wildcat vs. turf tiger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Mar 7, 2005.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Demoing a Wildcat..........27/ 61...............love it so far. One problem, the deck sticks out so far on both sides it tends to drag in certain conditions............my question, cause I don't have one in frt of me, is do the Turf Tigers have quite a bit less deck overhang.............does it have a wider track?

In the Scag's defense...........I have NOT adjusted the deck wheels on the outside, they are in the high position right now.

2. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The Tiger does have a wider stance. I think you would be happier with the Tiger. My .02

3. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

As explained to me.

Turf Tiger frame is larger and the mower is shaft driven.
    Wild Cat uses the tiger cub frame and is belt driven.

4. Diesel84

Diesel84 LawnSite Member

I have a tiger 61" and i just bought the wildcat 52". The tiger is alot bigger than the wildcat and does have a wider stance. With the 61" on the tiger the deck overhang is about 3 or 4 inches on each side. In my opion the overhang is perfect not to much and not to little. Are you going to be using the mower as a primary unit or an addition?

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Another difference in the tiger and wildcat is the tiger has larger pumps and wheel motors and for 2005 comes standard with a suspension seat on LC models.

6. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Scag Tiger Cubs and I think if you get a 61in deck you should get the Turf Tiger. Because the Turf Tiger has a stronger frame, lower center of gravity because the fuel tank is mounted low to the ground and a larger fuel tank.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

It would be the primary.........the Choppers would be relegated to the back up position!

I love the thing..........just think I'd like a Tiger better. The deck lift is too far to the left......I'm 5'7" and my knees hit the steering levers when I try to raise it for ant mounds and terraces. I can't see a 6 footer using this mower with ease.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Don't leave out the point that the stance could be widened by installing a wheel with more offset. A wheel with a deeper dish would allow you to adjust the width out where you think it should be. But good luck finding the wheel. I can't seem to come up with what I want in a 10" wheel. But it should be a lot easier to find a 12" wheel that will work because they are a lot more readily used and in more variations.

Adjust those scalp wheels first though. Two down sides to a wider rear track is that when you hang the deck just over a curb to get all the grass, the tire will crush in the edging gap between the soil and the curb. Also, you tend to drive your rear tire into the tree rings, ect, when trying to mow around them. That's a pain and it sorta kills the point of a zero turn to have to stop, back up, reposition, ect, or just leave a ring of turf behind to be trimmed in order to keep your tires from crushing the edges or tracking into the mulch.

9. Diesel84

Diesel84 LawnSite Member

If its gonna be the primary mower i would recommend the tiger. It is built stronger, has larger pumps, more hp, and is shaft driven. I put my tiger through alot and it held up great so far. I think you'll like it.

10. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

For the 61" I would reccomend the tiger. It has more power and engine options (you can get 35HP LC) and bigger pumps and frame. Also, you can put a bigger bagger on it if you need to.