Scag wildcat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TAZ, Aug 3, 2006.

1. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I know Scag is not a sponsor here so they don't seem to get too much press/love but for those that have them what are your opinions on the machines. I am looking at the 61" velocity plus deck with a 27 or 30 hp Kohler. I am interested in how these machines compare the Lazer Z and the Hustler Z in terms of durability and cut quality......

-TAZ

2. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Bought Wildcat a couple of months ago, 52" deck due to storage requirements. 26HP Lc Kawasaki engine.

It is fast and cuts good, My first ZTR so cannot compare to anything else. I wanted a local dealer and only had Scag and Toro in better quality machines, both dealers had good reputation and it seemed as though I got much more for the money with the Scag.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

When In florida I had a lazer, and TGLC used lazers. Here at GU I have a tiger cub with 61" deck 3 years old and a 52" wildcat 1 year old, and both are cutting machines. They cut every bit as good as my lazers did. I think it comes down to the Chevy/ford type argument....And ofcourse kepeing the machine maintained, and the blades sharp

And you need good dealer support...

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We are running two wildcats 2005 model 25 horse 52 inch cut, and a 2006 model 26 lc 52 inch no down time for a small power house and a good cut they are top mowers with a three year warranty on the deck.

5. TAZ

from Ohio

Thanks for the replies. I have good dealer support on the Scag and Exmark side. The Hustler dealer is new so that is an unknown there.

-TAZ

6. TAZ

from Ohio

I agree on the Chevy/Ford type argument but I like the fact that there are only positives on the Scag deck. The only deck I would consider is the Ultra on the Lazer. I am pretty much excluding Exmark due to the press they have gotten here..... I was just using them as a POR for cut quality.

-TAZ

7. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned 6 Scags and have never had a problem until now. We had a crack show up on the frame of a Turf Tiger we bought last year. Dealer fixed it and now Scag is saying it is due to abuse and they aren't gonna cover it even though it says it has a lifetime warranty on the frame.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have smaller Scag units so I can't comment on the big deck, but the reliability of the unit are iron solid. They don't seem to understand the word undersigned, everything is beefed up. Consequently they weigh a lot but that isn't bad.

9. TAZ

from Ohio

I owned a 60" Toro Z. I was not all that impressed with it. That is why I am looking at Scag and Hustler. Most of the dealers around here that deal Toro's sell residential even in the Z line. If you look on the trailers in this area you see three manufactures, Scag, Exmark and Lesco. Hustler is making it's way in but they are rare to see comercialy here. To me that is a statement for the dealer support in the area.

-TAZ

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

The I did consider teh toro's when I baught my lazer, as at the time they were seperate companies, I felt the Toro stamped deck did flow better than the Laser, but I felt the Welded deck on the Exmark woudl hold up better....