Scag wire ties - future problem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dakota2112, Jul 22, 2008.

1. dakota2112

dakota2112 LawnSite Member

I've noticed on my Tiger Cub, there are places where fuel lines, hydraulic lines, and wrapped wiring are secured together using skinny plastic wire ties, fairly tight in some areas. And in certain places, the wire ties hold the fuel line in a 90 degree bend.

Is this going to be a problem in the long run? Reason I ask is, I once used wire ties on my truck to secure some wiring to the rubberized A/C refrigerant lines this same way... and after a few months of heat and vibration, those skinny wire ties started to literally cut into the rubber lines. Obviously this would be bad news if the same thing happens on the Scag fuel lines, and based on that prior experience it looks like it's a leak waiting to happen given enough time, heat, and vibration. I'm thinking about encasing those areas in 1" split heater hose to preserve the routing, and then snipping the wire ties, but I'm leery of doing this on a brand new machine. Can I just not worry about this and leave it as-is? Do older machines have this same wire-tie setup with no resulting problems?

2. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nylon wire ties (tie-wraps, zip ties, etc.) can actually cut through steel! I've seen them used in airplanes to attach cables & hoses to a steel engine mount (a big no, no!). Dirt gets under the nylon and wears away the steel.

If you want something that will last years, remain flexible, and hold securely, look into Koroseal lacing. It won't cause damage, even if it gets dirty. You can get it from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty.

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Just make sure nothing being held is rubbing. I noticed the same thing on mine but moved a few things to keep from having an issue later.

4. dakota2112

Ok thanks for the feedback.

I also noticed that the choke cable is routed in such a way that it rubs against the left rear corner of the seat frame and has already worn the plastic outer covering all the way down to the metal sheath. I need to secure that up out of the way.

Other than that, my Scag is great so far anyways. :usflag:

5. dakota2112

Score 1 for Scag customer support. I used the "Contact Us" page on the Scag website to ask them about the wire tie issue, and within about 45 minutes I received a phone call from someone at Scag to discuss the issue with me.

He said the same technique is used on all Scag products, and has been for many years with no major issues reported. I'm still not 100% comfortable with that setup, but at any rate I was very impressed with the nearly immediate customer support response. I expected a form letter response via email about a week later, or at the very best a real email response in a few days. I certainly didn't expect a personal phone call within 45 minutes!

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Thats good to hear. I've had a scalping problem with my Cub and the 61" deck. Could be the terrain or is it the wider deck? I'm not convinced the terrain is causing it. The Cubs don't come with scalping rollers on the rear sides of the deck like the TT does. They claim the short wheel base on the Cub AND Wildcat doesn't need them and after years of service they don't get any calls with this problem. We talked for 30+ minutes. He kept trying to get the point across that it WAS NOT a defect but a customer satisfaction problem. I told him that I agree, I haven't had anything wrong with the mower or the cut other then it will scalp in some places. You would think with a wider deck, they would have them on the deck. After all, it is a floating deck. I've seen a lot of mowers and all the larger deck mowers have them, why not Scag

Before calling MetalCraft of Mayville I had talked to the dealer I bought it from and explained the problem I was having. I figure he'd resolve the problem by getting everything to correct the issue I was having. He said he'd call his distributor and see if he can get the brackets that come welded to the deck. A week later he said they could get them and send everything. They came in so I was going by on my route that day so I stopped by to pick them up. When I went to leave, he said he'd add them to my account! I stopped in my tracks and asked why I need to pay for these when it has a problem scalping at least one place at each property I mow, including my own home! He said that he'd have to charge me for them! I told him to call Scag and settle it with them. So I set them on the counter and left. A day or so had gone by, thats when I decided to call MetalCraft of Mayville. The guy at MetalCraft told me he'll be happy to call the dealer and work everything out. I got a call 2 hours later from him saying that he talked with them and everything is set and I should be getting a phone call from the dealer shortly. Guess what, it's been 2 days and no call. I'm starting to feel like I should have gone elsewhere with my business. Oh yeah, they also have a new Stihl shreader/vac that won't keep running, very hard to start. The first time I took it back and told him about the problem, he said he tweaked the needles and it's fine. It did it again so I called him on the job and told him to listen close, it would start but as soon as you give it gas it would bog, it didn't matter if I richened the needles or leaned them, it wouldn't run right. He still has that piece of junk. I should have stayed with Echo. :angry: