1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag with Briggs engine, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman87, Jul 2, 2008.

1. mowerman87

mowerman87 LawnSite Member

I was at the local mowery today and saw a new scag ztr with a briggs engine. Naturally, I was quite wary of any engines smelling like homeowner level quality. But the sales guy said theres nothing to be afraid of and it comes with a one-year commercial warranty. Its called the FreedomZ. The 48" deck will run you $5000- thats cheap. Then I went on Scag's website and read a different story. It does have the warrant, but they make it abundantly clear that the FreedomZ model is intended for homeowner or light commercial. Does this sound like a foolish purchase? Should I steer clear of this and get something undisbutably commercial duty? Scag makes something called the tigercub that would be perfect but its a thousand more, guesse thats a sign. The exmark 48" is around $6200 in my area. But perhaps the mower is great and I'd be a fool to spend more money. Ya'll weigh in.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well ...
    I think you've answered your own question :p
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What type of work are you going to use a new ZTR on? Size of lots? Gates?

I can't think of any reason to get a Freedom Z for commercial but the website says "The Freedom Z is primarily designed for entry-level commercial use and estate / consumer use". There are better options I'm sure. It is designed for the home owner with a tractor wanting to save time.
  4. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

How many lawns do you have? I know most guys on here will swear by the Tiger Cub, so for an extra grand, I don't think you could go wrong.
  5. mowerman87

mowerman87 LawnSite Member

I suppose I just wanted to save money. I would use it on about 10 jobsites a week, some commercial properties, some just huge yards. But I'm growing and its an investment so you have to think about longevity. Gates are not an issue, but trailer space is; the 52" adds more length and lately I've been keeping 3 21" mowers on the trailer so 48" is just right. My current zero is 50", but I'm getting a poor cut and Ive tried to fix. I will probably do an engine/body swap with it. Well, tigercub here I come, if I have the funds...
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I wouldn't be afraid to get the Freedom Z. I used one for a week while waiting for my TC to come in. It cut great and felt solid as a rock.

Matter of fact, I almost kept the Freedom Z. The only reason I didn't because it doesn't offer a power assist bagger, just the standard bagger. Other then that, I would have kept the Freedom Z.
  7. white1

white1 LawnSite Member

When I bought my hustler, I found the scag tiger cub on sale for about $500 more than my super duty. I went to get it dead set on the scag, but the salesman talked me out of it. Said they have had a lot of problems with the 26 Brigs. He said he would be more than happy to sell me a scag with the kohler or the kawi, but recommended staying away from the brigs, told me even though it was on a commercial machine it wasnt up for the task. Long story short, I saved $500 and went with the Hustler