Scag won't stay running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lakeside Lawn, May 16, 2008.

1. Lakeside Lawn

Lakeside Lawn LawnSite Member

scag won't stay running..It starts up and runs pretty good for a few min...then it starts acting like I am moving the lever all around..then it finally dies out. Could the carb need to be cleaned?

2. MarksTLC

MarksTLC LawnSite Member

When is the last time you changed the fuel filter? Mine started doing something like that at the end of last season. I changed the fuel filter and bang, back to normal.

3. Lakeside Lawn

Just put a new filter on it..and it seemed to help a little...but it still quit after like 10 mins. Its the front (toward the front of mower) lever that seems to be out of adjustment..is there away to readjust those screws to get it back to where its should be? Sorry if that was a stupid question...im lost:hammerhead:

4. Lakeside Lawn

Here is a picture of the lever that after it runs for a while...it sdtarts to move around...and then stalls....also pictured is the screw that moves around alot when its getting ready to die....it runs on low idle fine..its just after about 3-5 min on high that it dies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the float bowl off the carb and clean it out. Had the same issue with my 16hp Kawasaki. Turned out a small piece of dirt got in there and wasnt letting the float work properly and clogging one of the jets. The engine would idle real good, I would take it to high rpms and it would go up rpm, then drop, back up, drop then die.

6. Lakeside Lawn

Its working fine now!...I have no clue why...I did spray some carb cleaner in it...maybe it finally worked out its kinks....It ran for a good 20 min...before I remembered how much gas was...lol..andI shut it off:rolleyes: