Scag worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by djmower, Apr 4, 2011.

1. djmower

djmower LawnSite Member

Looking at a 2001 scag 36" belt drive walk behind. Non-commercialy used and looks to be in good condition with a Klr 12.5 hp engine. Talked the man down to $1200. Good, fair, or bad deal??
  2. BlazerRidge

BlazerRidge LawnSite Member

It sounds like a good deal. How many hours are on it?
  3. 951

951 LawnSite Member

seems like they always say no hour meter on them. it sounds like a fair deal if its legit, it always sounds better when they word it as used by the non commercial user.
  4. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

are you planning on mulchiung with it because I was told my dealer that sell scag and toro and walker that the scag with that size deck will cause more work. basically if you mulch youll be forcing a double cut.
  5. djmower

djmower LawnSite Member

There is no hour meter (boooo) but it doesn't seem to have much wear on anything. I do plan on mulching, but the yards I plan on using it on aren't heavy or thick yards so I should be in the clear. Well, you guys' two cents confirmed my decision so hopefully I'll come home with it tomorrow!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

"Sounds" good. The only thing is that 12.5 is a little underpowered for a 36. Most come with atleast 15hp, that's what I have and it's enough. Never used a 12.5 but I'd be a little weary of it. Maybe try bringing him down a little more because of that.

Really? That's very interesting. My eXmark 36 has a mulching kit and basically the weedy yards I always have to double cut. Even when I have the front caster without any spacers (lowest cut) beneath them...I'm guessing the original side discharge has more vacuum to pull the grass up and cut it better?? Anyway, it sucks but the reg old side discharge just looks so terrible, plus alot of extra blowing time afterwards, but let me know the reasons as to why that is.

7. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

that sounds a little high for that old of a machine. Also most come with 14hp so I don't know about the 12. However overlooking some shortcomings with belt slippage when we these machines can be very valuable. Depends whose using it. I love mine used with jungle wheels. It very productive. I have a chute block and it mulches effortlessly and has a really good cut. I'd talk him down below 1000.