Scag Z cat mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Masters, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I gotta ask if anyone out there is using this model ZTR, and if so, how do you like it? I prefer a ztr for my work, and this one is nice looking to me, so I want to see how its liked by people with one. and how much does it cost new? I'm thinking very seriously about getting one but want to know how well it performs first. Thanks in advance.
  2. kenkmowerman

kenkmowerman LawnSite Member

I normally hear all the pros and cons on competitive units but this one is a little new.
  3. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Unless your going to get the 42" Deck, what is the point of making a 36" ztr? I am not trying to promote the gravely 34z I have, but I need to get through 36" gates and most 36" gates wont allow a 36" ztr through it, why build a 36" mower?

If the gate is a 48" I would get a 44 or 42" mower.

I guess Gravely and Wright are the only companies that actually get this.
  4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I have 44'' z masters that fit through the 48'' gates. For the 36'' gates I cannot use a 36'' mower, thats why I bought a 32'' wright stander.
  5. Lawn Masters

I have to contend with a 43" gate, and a few that are 36", so I think maybe a 32" wb, and a 48" ztr would be appropriate now that you have made me think about it some. Thanks for the input, you saved me from making a mistake I couldnt easily correct.
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

my Scag Z cat fits thru 36 inch gates. It is a very capable mower. The issues I have with it are skinny tires, but they can't exactly be wide on a 36" chassis.
    The hydros take some getting used to and are very slow acting in reverse.
    Had a little quality control issue with one of the belt pulleys falling off, but that is fixed and doing fine.
    My biggest issue is that they only have very high lift blades available for this machine. It wouldn't be a big deal cause they work great in optimal to normal conditions. But in the wet they pack the deck like no tomorrow. makes the machine almost worthless and since it has been raining for 4 days here courtesy of Ophelia, we have been cutting in the wet and hand unpacking the deck 2-3 times per yard.

Up to 50 hours and I like her alot. Aside from the above issues it is a very good, quick, productive mower and I highly recommend it as a big step up from any WB for back yard or small property work.
  7. Lawn Masters

Precision, does yours do a good striping job? jsut curious about that.
  8. Precision

Not trying to be a smart @ss, but I have no idea what you are talking about with striping. What kind of grass do you stripe in Florida?

Bahia might stripe, but why waste your time. Most people that have bahia have it because its cheaper and it will live without irrigation. St augustine will lose its stripe within hours. The stolon is too high and makes the grass resistant to staying bent.

If your asking does the mower have good suction and could it stripe. Yeah. too damn much suction with the high lift blades (the only ones currently available). Remember this mower has 3 - 12" blades not 2 - 18's.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Precision =How much did you pay for the 36 inch which moter 17 or 19 thanks.
  10. Precision

19hp motor and $5500 including tax and the other crap fees.