1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag Z or Deere Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowpronj, May 22, 2007.

1. mowpronj

mowpronj LawnSite Member

I currently have 2 Deere walk behinds, and I am looking to upgade to a Z rider. I love my deere mowers but am considering the scag. Any thoughts on either would be a great help. I cut about 35 lawns a week Part time, if that helps?
  2. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

Where do you think you would get the best dealer support......
  3. mowpronj

mowpronj LawnSite Member

I think it would be from my local Deere dealer .
  4. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a scag. less breakdowns. They are heavier mowers and are built damn near indestructable. Unless you hit a granite rock.( thanks dad) For real the decks are super strong. The blade spindles are unmatched. You will wear through a deere deck long before busting through a scag deck. My Scag has 160 hours on it so far and yet to have a breakdown of anyform, Other than damn utility surveyor flags in the tires. But thats another gripe for another thread.
  5. slclawn

slclawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

Those are my top choice mowers but as you can see i run deere i have a 655 ztrack with over seven thousand hours on it now and still running and cutting strong. The 757s have about 900 hours between the two of them and no problems yet. Both scag and deere are built very heavy.
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Scag makes nice heavy duty equipment for sure. I just have never been impressed with there quality of cut.

With that said, in all honesty I dont think the scag deck is any tougher than a deere deck. The Deere 7 iron deck is completely 7 guage stamped and not welded. They are the only company that has invested in the technology and machinery capable of stamping 7 guage steel. With stamping you dont get the inconsistancy that you do with welded decks.

You can take 2 identical machines with welded decks and have 1 cut better than the other. That wont happen with the deere decks. Both machines are good and I dont think somebody can go wrong with either one. So I suggest just buying from the dealer that offers the best service.
  7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that the deere would be better if you have more high end yards without a lot of sandy patches. The scag works best as a choppin mower. The deck on a deere is better suited for mulching. If you get a deere spend the extra and get the mulch on demand option where with the flip of a lever you go from mulching to discharging. If you have more low end sandy lawns go with a scag.
  8. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

my dealer was what made me get my deere.the others around here that sale other brands have to call a service guy in to fix them,so more down time.no problems with mine.
  9. jwl5510

jwl5510 LawnSite Member

get the Deere

717a, 737,and 757 are all great mowers have used a demo of each all have plenty of power.

stay away from the 727 not enough power for the deck size
  10. jwl5510

jwl5510 LawnSite Member

plan on getting one as soon has rain comes back

help need RAIN