1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scag ZTR... 20HP Kholer or 19HP Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shelbytt, May 28, 2005.

1. Shelbytt

Shelbytt LawnSite Member
    from TX

I have finally decided to go with a SCAG on my new Mower. Here is my question, I have the option of going with a 20HP Kohler or a 19HP Kawasaki both the same price, so you PRO's out there can you let me know what you would go with? The mower Im getting is a 48 Inch Scag STC Tiger Cub Riding Commercial Mower. I have talked them down to $5600 which out of the 10 places I called was the cheapest by far. This will be for residential 3.5 acres, probably a lil over kill but hopefully it will last a lifetime. :blob3:
  2. mhunt

mhunt LawnSite Member
    from SE

i'd go with the kawasaki.
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're just using it to mow your own place, I don't think it matters a bit. If you want to do a search, you'll find people on this site who are Kawasaki fans and those are Kohler fans. Either engine would be good as both brands have stood the test of time quite well. If all else fails, flip a coin.
  4. angusman

angusman LawnSite Member

I just bought the same unit you are looking at and got the Kawasaki. My reasoning is that the oil filter is much easier to get to than the Kohler. I mowed all day with it yesterday and it is great. Your price was darn good too, actually I would not let Scag see that post as they may be a little disappointed in their dealer for selling at cost but hey you got a bargain! Have fun with it and watch the roll bar. It took a little getting used to but I have more road embankments on the properties I mow than low branches and definately dont want to tip it over on myself. My little boy and girl need their father :)
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Kohler is a better motor
  6. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the Kawasaki engine, you'll be glad you did!
  7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

you could tally up all of the posts and see who favors what the most. I have had great luck with both brands.
  8. smitdavi

smitdavi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Just picked up my SCAG 48" walk behind with a 15 hp Kawi on thursday and mowed all day today and can't say enough good things about it. I would say get the Kawi
  9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Both of them are good engines. Out of the two i'd probibly get the Kohler because they are a little more fuel efficient than Kawasaki's.

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

the kaw may use a little more fuel, but it will also deliver more torque.