Scag ZTR Advantage Decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by woodydog, Mar 26, 2005.

1. woodydog

woodydog LawnSite Member

We are purchasing two Turf Tiger's, 27hp Kawi liquid with 61" decks. The problem is, the dealer just informed me that the machines are 03's not 04's like he said and that they have the older style decks, not the new ones that came on the 04's. Do you guys think there is a problem with the older decks? He told me the reason they have the older decks is that the new decks tend to clump when the grass is moist from dew etc...? He said the only difference in the decks is that the 04 and newer have a changeable baffle and the older decks can't fit the new recycler blades on them? Just looking for some help. Would you be afraid to buy these with the older decks. These are brand new leftover units. Thank you.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont know if they are the same as the decks on the 02 walk behinds or not. I have an 02 walkbehind, it cuts great and stripes great but no adjustable baffles. I have an 04 tiger cub with the adjustable baffles and it cuts and stripes good too. I think the walkbehind actually clumps less than the Cub, both have 48'' decks. I just hate them pistol grips. Hope this helps some

3. woodydog

woodydog LawnSite Member

Is there any problem with not being able to adjust the baffles? Do you ever adjust your baffles?
    Thanks

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I will be honest, I never tried to adjust them, there was so much moisture/ sap in the grass this past season that all the LCO here had some clumping issues, no matter the make (Scag, Xmark, Toro). I had the ASC (ocdc) added this fall for leaves and keeping clippings out of flower beds. The book said to adjust it down for mulching but I never moved it and it mulched leaves fairly good, I had some blow out on the right front of the deck but it wasnt bad

5. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

I would pick those up in an instant with the old style deck.

Having owned the old styles and having the Advantage decks I can say the older ones cut much better, don't clump 1/2 as much and leave a better stripe!

IMO of course!

6. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

I adjusted my baffles after installing a chute blocker, but honestly can't tell any difference.

7. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I bought a tiger cub last year so I can give you my experience. we mow constantly in the rain, so I took the big main baffle all the way off. I still had clumping and was frustrated, it turns out the the little "turbo baffle" is the problem. It bottle necks the discharge shoot too much. Once I took it off it cut 100% better. So my recomendation is to immediatly unbolt the turbo baffle and then you basically have the old style deck.

8. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have used the 61 turf tiger and a 52 hydro walk behind. For me anyway, they both cut nice in all condions. I think some people on this site are to picky and haven't used most of the mowers they give reports on.

9. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Which decks?

10. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Good quetion, I do my buisness on the side and don't run Scag. I help my buddy out on the side also and all he runs are scags. I think his newest (not a word!) are 03 scags. He has an 04 turf tiger that I have not had the cance to run. Anyway, I have not seen a problem with any of his scags (and i don't like scag!) So there is my review.