Scag Ztr Or Wb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CHESTNUTRIDGELC, Jan 12, 2008.

1. CHESTNUTRIDGELC

CHESTNUTRIDGELC LawnSite Member

I am new to this forum but not new to commercial mowing. I have owned 3 wb's in the past 2 exmark's and a scag. I currently have a 48 belt drive scag. In my search for a new mower I have decided on a scag for many reasons, most importantly dealer support in the area. I mow mostly residential ranging from very small to 4 acre lots. I average 15-20 accounts (only mowing part time) I decided on a 52" hydro wb until I went to the dealer and seen the 48" tiger cub. For approximately $1000 more i can sit on my hiney and mow. Which should I get? If I get ztr i will keep the wb I already have and maybe upgrade it to hydro next year. How will the tiger cub do on hills. I have had hydro wb's before and know they do well but unsure of the cub. Thank you guys in advance.

2. Evans Lawn Service

Evans Lawn Service LawnSite Member

first off welcome to lawnsite. OK i live in east tn so let me tell you about a ztr in tn i just bought a cub tank m60 about 3 months ago and it is my first ztr i have only used walk behinds for 4 years so.....look for wide tires they will help on hills and trust me the first time on a hill i was so scared you just about had to get a crowbar to get the seat out of my a$$ lol. try to demo it on a hillside and see if it holds good some do some don't.my father owns a kubota dz28/70 diesel and it will not hold a hill for nothing if you cant find your answer then try the search part in the right hand corner:)

3. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

We use wb and ztr's. I can tell you that if you are going from belt to hydro wb you will be in heaven. I would rather have a good hydro wb by itself than a Z and a belt drive wb. I live in your area so I know what kind of hills you deal with. The wb is much more stable on hills and the hydro is much better than belt on hills...it won't take off rolling down hill.:waving:

4. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to lawnsite! I live just up the road in Bristol. Where are you looking to buy your Scag? I had a 52" wildcat that was very good on hills. I know a couple of guys that have Cubs and like ther performance very much. If you have never used a sit down mower I think you will be very pleased :waving:. Have you looked into a Wildcat???? They have a few more features like hydro coolers,larger tires,liquid cooled 26 kaw,better seats,better ride, etc. Since you already have a walk-behind I would definately get a Scag rider you won't regret it.
    Your definately going to get different opinions on which mower to buy on this website. Anything from John deere to BadBoy. You have chosen " simply the best" mower already so just go and get one. All we need is to start another "MY MOWER IS THE BEST THREAD." If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

5. CHESTNUTRIDGELC

I plan on buying at Boones Creek Outdoor Power Equipment. Seem to really have there stuff together. They are going to be at the farm and garden expo this weekend. PLan on making purchase then. They will be on sale during this event. Who knows how much discount, but I was told to wait another week when I talked to the gentleman at the dealership.

6. Mike Blevins

Farm and Gardeb Expo??? havent heard of one is it at the Meadowview Conf. Center? What the dates?

7. CHESTNUTRIDGELC

Pick up a copy of the Times News, they sponsor it. It is this weekend fri sat and sun. not sure of the hours though. It is at Meadowview.

8. Mike Blevins

I'll pick up a copy. I will definately be there! went to Boones Creek last week and priced a new Turf Tiger 61" 29 dfi

9. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Mike Scag is " Simply The Best " keep your walk for now and buy the cub but if you can swing it upgrade to the Wildcat . I have both or better yet 2 walks and 2 ZTRs ( a Cub with the honda and a wildcat with 26 L/C Kawi) i use the walks on the hills and small Lawns and the Zs for wide open mowing , You cant go wrong owning both and if you can upgrade to a hydro next year

10. cnflawn

cnflawn LawnSite Member
    from tn

hi Mike,
    i sent you a pm about a 61 dfi
    sorry i missed you last week

jerald:waving: