Scag ZTR Owners.....Question 4 You!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PTOhioMower, Aug 2, 2005.

1. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

I have a 2004 Tiger Cub and it has some kind of dampener to bring the sticks back to neutral from reverse.. Have any of you taken these dampeners off? Mine are getting really sticky, somtimes I really have to jerk it in reverse to get it unstuck. Its getting to be a real pain in the butt, not to mention time consuming.

Just wondering if it was a good idea or not to take these things off.

2. Diesel84

Diesel84 LawnSite Member

The same thing has happened to me twice on my wildcat and turf tiger. If you follow the stick down into the metal housing you will see a spring and rod that the sticks push against to make it go in reverse. If the spring isn't ligned up with the stick it will catch just like you described. I just loosened the two bolts holding on the plate that the small rod goes through and ligned it up straight again. It seems to me that the bolts loosen and the plate moves causing it to stick going in reverse. Try it and let me know how it goes.

3. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

I spray WD40 on it every otherday, and it work very well. I used to have alot of broblems on the left side stick. When i try to move it baxkward, it will not move very much. Then, i have pull it real hard to get it move. And everytime i try to make a left turn, the left tire will burn the grass b/c it only spin in one place instead of roll back ward. But after i used WD40, never have aproblem.

4. PTOhioMower

I will give that a try!! Thanks.

5. PTOhioMower

Ive tried the wd 40 and it didnt do much. Ive even tried some mobil 1 syn grease on the "shaft", still not like it was when it had no hours on it.

My left stick is also the worst!! Just like you said. You pull back on it and it wont move. So you have to really jerk it and then your doin a burn out!

Im gonna try to align them as Diesel said. If it keeps hangin up im just gonna take those things off. I will let you know if it is an improvement after I take them off. I dont really see the advantage of having them on there anyway.

6. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

I have a tiger cub, same year and had the same problem. WD 40 did the trick. :)

7. davhul

davhul LawnSite Member
    from Gray,Ga

the dampeners keep the sticks from bouncing forward and backward uncontrollably.need to keep them.Take one off and see for your self.

8. PTOhioMower

Do you have a Scag? Have you tried it? The dampeners im talking about only work in reverse. Its just a spring loaded dampener that brings the sticks back to neutral if you let go of them when in reverse.

9. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

check for a bent dampener shaft.

10. cmk144

cmk144 LawnSite Member

Buy a Dixie Chopper and you will not have to worry about dampers!