1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scag ztr trouble NEED HELP HELP

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jerry Andersen, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Jerry Andersen

Jerry Andersen LawnSite Member

scag 2005 turf tiger 27 hr kohler command pro 225hrs starts runs about 1/2 sec then dies seems to be getting gas,spark,compression it seems like something is shutting it down HELP PLEASE
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

1. Fuel filter
    2. Safety switches (operator present switch under seat, etc.)
    3. Fuses
    4. Oil level (does Kohler have a low oil safety shutdown?)
    5. Pull air filter and try starting. (you never know)

Just my .02. Good Luck:confused:

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Also check fuel shut off solenoid for proper operation.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Check the two fuses on the control panel the one that operates the carb related solenoid may be blown. Happens on mine when I get unit wet.
  5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

6. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

Jerry, post up your spec number but I am thinking your engine has the wiring harness with the diodes.

Sounds like you have power to the starter, fuel shut down solenoid, and SAM in the start position but not the run position. Disconnect the little blue wire from the starter solenoid and do have someone turn the key to run and start and check for power at these devices.

The fuel shut down solenoid is on the bottom of the carburetor (red wire). The power wire to the SAM is also red, and again the blue solenoid "exciter" wire is light blue.
  7. Jerry Andersen

Jerry Andersen LawnSite Member

crank shaft was the closes bad connection on the blue wire at starter you guys are life savers thanks