scag ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BMFD92, Sep 13, 2004.

1. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking into a ztr and I have looked at various mowers and demoed (everride, exmark, bobcat, and scag). I liked the scag the most even though I was disappointed in the my scag w/b. Well let me get to the point. What would be better a Tiger Cub with 24 honda/52 or a TT 23/52? I personally want the better mower that can handle hills and cut fast. What do you guys think is the better out of the two?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a tiger cub with a 20hp kohler and a 48'' deck. I have no exp with a turf tiger. The cub is smaller and more compact and probbly 1000 bux cheaper. the turf tiger has bigger hydraulic pumps and motors . Depends on what you want to do with the machine or what you have to mow. check out this site and it compares the mowers http://www.scag.com/index2.html

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

From our experiance with scag we will never use another scag again. Our scag cuts terrible and has so many problems. We actually set the mower out at night hoping somebody will steal it so we can collect insurance.

4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 61"tt,it holds on a hill very well.-But I want a smaller ztr to replace my w/b.-.If I wanted a 52",I think I would go with the smaller one.A tt is a big heavy mower,not the best in tight areas. :)

5. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

i mow with a jd ztr-it is ok at best.this season i have demoed a scag turf tiger and a ferris 3000 extreme.neither were very impressive ,the scag left me stranded on the first day and it was brand new.i think im going to try a dixie chopper next,my friend bought two used dixies and is very impressed with them.

6. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Scags make excellent mowers, if not the Best IMO. I have 52 Cub with the 23 air cooled Kawi which has been great and cuts excellent.. Tons of power. The only problem I had with that motor is at about 500 Hrs I had to change one coil. I know someone who has 24 Honda and is also happy with it. I also have two TT 61" with liquid cooled Kawis motors which are great and handle hills better. If you get the Turf tiger it will have the bigger pumps over the cub, better features, and also be better built machine. It is also bigger and not as compact as the cub.

7. Stripe master

Stripe master LawnSite Member

I use a Turf tiger with a 61" and a 27 kawi water cooled! It has the double tubed frame and the 16cc hydro pumps and will do things that other riders will not do! I strong reccomend it but make sure whatever you buy you have a supporting dealer!

8. shortgut

shortgut LawnSite Member

do not know about the Tiger cub I have a SABER TOOTH TIGER with a 72 in deck and it for the most part does great on hills also have a KUbota Zd 28 and definitley trust the SCAG on hills more than the Kubota

9. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere 727A 54 INCH DECK, 23 HP KAW V-TWIN

10. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a turf tiger 61". I loved it. It held slopes great and cut great. I was just about done with this big hill and the controls quit working so I coasted to the bottom and called the dealer. A guy came right out and what happened is the drive belt in the rear had rolled off. He said he'd never seen that happen before.