Scag ZTR's on an embankment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnybravo8802, Apr 20, 2008.

1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

How do the Scag ZTR's do traversing steep embankments? Any experience?

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

They stick like glue.simple nothing holds scag back,the bigger the z the better they stick i have 4 scag new model z's.

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

There capable of going as steep, as your balls are big?:laugh: the one thing I miss about my Scag

4. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I thought that may be the case. I was looking at a turf tiger the other day and couldn't believe how wide it was. A Sabre Tooth may be even wider. The best machine I've had to date on a hill was a Ferris IS 4000 with the suspension pressing it down on an embankment but, it wasn't dependable. That was a shame.

5. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

oh the tiger good pick,the sabres are gone you might find one left over with the 20 cc pumps..........

6. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

My TT will stick to hills like nothing I've ever seen. I've got one embankment that I mow that is every bit of 45-50 degrees with no slip as long as it's not too dry or wet.

A lot of it for me depends on what is at the bottom. At a school, there is a hill at about 40 degrees that is about 50' tall. Only downfall is there is a parking lot at the very bottom. I only mow about half because it gets a little steeper after that and I don't wanna lose it and slide down into a car.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They are very good on hills, I've had them on places that looked like WB only banks. Are they the very best on hills? I don't know, there was some debate on a post a while back and I think Envy knew of some that he said held better (I want to say Landpride but not sure). There are guys here that swear by an out front Grasshopper on certain types of difficult terrain such as going down a hill deck first. Out of the top sellers a Turf Tiger is hard to beat though. Hustler makes the ATZ and there are mowers made especially for slopes so there are probably some that will hold better.

8. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

That would be Country Clipper!

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, my bad. I got them mixed up.

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I saw a guy mowing a bank/hill that I probably couldn't even walk up! The mower (don't know the brand) had a hydro tilt that would tilt the cab so it was level even though the hill was steep and the deck would be at a huge angle in relation to the mower. As he came off the hill, it would straighten back up. I could only think that it would slide off the hill at any time but it didn't.