Scag ZTR's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Crazy Cutter, May 18, 2008.

1. Crazy Cutter

Crazy Cutter LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Has SCAG discontinued the Saber Tooth Tiger? I am looking for a mower to mow my own property maybe 60" or 72". HAS TO BE DIESEL, and preferably shaft driven. My dad sells Kubota and I love the ZD331/326 but last year I saw a local LCO with a 72" saber tooth mowing a local school. To be honest I never really looked at Scag before but that mower turned my head and I turned around and stopped to watch for a minute. I was impressed so I went to the website to look. It was late last fall so I really didn't need a machine at that time but now this spring I go back to look and it's gone? Is the regular Tiger the only bigger machine now? For the Scag na-sayers my father can get Exmark and Toro machines too. I looked at a Deere 997 but my dealer did not even begin to want to sell one to me with his lack of interest and prices that he wouldn't come down on! Not to mention if I bought a green machine I wouldn't be invited to anymore family outings for defecting to the other side lol!
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Scag did discontinue the Sabre Tooth Tiger. The biggest now is the Turf Tiger, which has the diesel and a 72" deck as well. I guess there wasnt the constant demand for such a large machine, so they just quit making it. The TT is really the same machine.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The Turf Tiger is still available in a diesel model (even a Kubota). Just no 31 hp turbo Daihatsu like the Sabre Tooth Tiger.
  4. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Whatever brand you decide to get, you should get the 60" deck; I have heard many people say that 72" decks scalp too much. Any of the listed brands should work well, btw.
  5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Scag has a turf tiger with a cat diesel in the works. As for now they just have a kubota diesel.
  6. tacoma200

Turbo diesels if I understand correctly break more often so I wouldn't loose too much sleep over the fact they currently have gone to a simpler design and dropped the turbo diesel. I'm no diesel expert though I've driven over half a million miles behind the wheel of a big truck but I feel the Kubota will be more reliable than the Daihatsu turbo diesel and the 28 HP CAT diesel (so labeled) will be more than enough power if you really need it.
  7. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The Turf Tiger with the 28hp Cat diesel is available now. I saw one at my dealer last week.The 72" deck is a Velocity deck now instead of the advantage series.This is basically the same as the Sabre tooth tiger.
  8. Crazy Cutter

Crazy Cutter LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

How do the CAT's perform in thick grass? I heard on here I think that the guys who were running Hustler's had horrible reliability issues with there CAT diesel's. Not to mention I bet they're a nightmare to work on!
  9. tacoma200

CAT doesn't make this one, it's just sold under the CAT name with a yellow paint job. We have guys that know on here so just be patient. Just to let you know they had to add several inches to the Tiger to hold the new 72" Velocity Plus deck (only available on this model). It will be one long machine.

I think you would be better off with one of the fuel injected gas engines. I like diesels but with the price of fuel and the original purchase price it will take a long time to pay for itself.

Better yet buy one from you Dad and keep the money in the family.
  10. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

These mowers are great I like the kubotas as well but feel scag has the better machine.