1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TURF DOCTOR, Oct 16, 2005.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Scag is coming out with a 48 inch 24 hp van what is your thought on this.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

DO you mean a 24 hp Vanguard engine? or a van what?. Im not being smart, just trying to figure it out. I think they allready have a 23-24 horsepower honda on a cub

Tiger cub vanguard Local dealer priced this mower 2006 model i think not sure about a 48 inch cut on a z we just purchased a z cat last month
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Our dealer has a Tiger Cub with the 24hp Briggs Vanguard. We have two Tiger Cubs both 48/ 19 Kawasaki's. Our dealer said the 19 kawasaki was $300 more than the 24 briggs. The briggs doesn't have the donaldson a filter system. We like the Kawasaki's because when you get in thick grass they have more torque than the other engines. We demoed a 52in cub with a 24 honda and a 23 kawasaki.

That what i can't figure out the 24 hp briggs is cheaper in price than the 19 kaw keep in mind a 48 in deck over a 52 the 24 honda 52 inch deck is like 1500 more bucks than the 48 inch 24 briggs make sense out of that.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Something to do with the fact that the vancrap won't last 500 hours. Wheras a Kohler, Kawisaki, or honda can last 2 to 3 thousand hours.

My dealer has several machines with 20 hp B&S Vanguards on them. all under 500 hours. I started a couple, One was smoking and you could smell it even tho you couldn't see it. Both had a good deal of oil build up around the heads. I tried a 20hp 42" cut machine out a couple years ago and the vanguard had NO torque at all when compared to the Kohler I was used to running.

Personally I would not waste money on a B&S engine over 5 or 6 hp. Spend the extra $$$ and get an engine that's built to last and has the TORQUE that you need. Find the spec sheet for the mower. most all will list the horsepower and torque ratios. I'd bet money that the 24 hp B&S puts out the same torque as the 19 hp Kaw.
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I looked at a used bobcat last March that had a B&S on it with 187 hours and the mower smoked so bad looked like I was spraying for mosquitoes! I had 2 mowers before this with the B&S that were pos. You could not give me another one!
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Just don't even worry about it.
    Be smart and buy it.

More HP
    More Torque
    More hours of useful life
    All for less money
    And Briggs has better customer support

That's a no-brainer.
  9. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I had an 18 hp Vanguard on a Bobcat hydro never a problem. Smooth as glass and plenty of power. I had it for 1000hrs sold to a local guy 3 years ago he beats the snot out of it and does almost no maintenance and it's still going strong .

The true briggs vans you can't beat em with a stick saw a pic of the engine on the scag looks like a intek briggs i myself would chose the kawasaki proven engines.