$$$ Scag $$$

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by opher, May 12, 2006.

1. opher

opher LawnSite Member

WHATS YOUR OPINION?

I AM READY TO PURCHASE A SCAG TIGER CUB, I HAVE 2 OPTIONS, ONE IS A 2004 DEMO( 80+HRS) WITH A 52" DECK AND A 23 HP KAW . THE OTHER ONE IS A NEW 2005 WITH A 52" DECK AND A 19 HP KAW. BOTH ARE $5999, WHAT SHOULD I DO? AND IS THE TIGER CUB A GOOD FIRST ZERO TURN?

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT,
    :weightlifter: OPHER

2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I am looking at the tiger cub right now too. I already have an exmark lazer but I really like how the scag looks. I am going to call my dealer to start the process. But if I was you, I would get the demo with the bigger engine. I might get blasted for telling you to get the demo but it is the same price as a new one with a bigger engine. I would check the belt,the fluids, the tires and all before the purchase though. If you don't want the demo let me know. :waving: It sounds like a good deal.

3. rklawnmowing

rklawnmowing LawnSite Member

well are you sure you want a 52" deck... if you are then the get one of them. i bought my first scag last year in april for 6299, and i have the 48" deck with the 19hp kawasaki motor. and it has two 4 gallon tanks, which last me the whole week and part of next week, but im only cutting 7 lawns, about 10hrs of cutting each week. and i now have 138.2 hrs on my tiger cub and its running like a champ. so i would say its an excellent machine for a first buy. the bagger attachtment is only 1650 which is relatively cheap, and there are many other attacthments to get that are 1/3 of that price. oh and it cuts at 10mph if you need to.

4. opher

opher LawnSite Member

Forgot To Mention T Hat It Comes With The Full Mfg Waranty

5. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I was going to ask about that. On your decision on the mower make sure you can use on it most of the properties. Also what other mowers do you have?

6. opher

opher LawnSite Member

Just Starting Off In This Biz. I Am Looking At The Huskavarna 36" Hydro,its Fairly Cheep

7. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

I have a Tiger cub for about 1 year now very dependable its a 48 inch deck.So far ony 2 things have broken a tension spring and at 200 hours the drive belt snapped.

8. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

always get the bigger engine unless there are known problems.

9. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Opher, we have a 52 with the 23 Kaw on it and seems to be a good unit. We only have 600 hrs on it so far and the only thing I remember breaking was an engine to blade belt at about 500 hrs or so. In the fall we put on Gator blades with a chute blocker and it did a great job of mulching leaves. It'll dang near knock ya out of the seat once in awhile if you hit a good bump at speed.Over all I like it but I have been running Scags since '90 so I don't really know other brands.

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

A 19 hp on a 52 inch is under powered in heavy grasses,we have a 25 hp kaw a 2005 model on a 52 inch deck and it sputers some in thick grass.