1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PJAKJF, Mar 12, 2004.

PJAKJF LawnSite Member
    from MA

what do you guys think of scag ? i hope its good because i pick it up today 48" belt walk behind $3000.00 + $175.00 for a steal catcher (grass gobbler) also do you think its a good price ?i looked around all winter and could not find it any cheaper thanks in advance for input

PJAKJF LawnSite Member
    from MA

does anyone own scags?
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

That price is in line with my local dealer, I have a scag wb48'' cut gear drive
  4. mole

mole LawnSite Member

I have one I love it, never had a problem with it in 6yrs. Beat to heck but still cuts like a pro. Use it more than my lesco zr2 ride on
  5. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I have a 48" belt drive Scag with 17hp Kawi. I think I paid around $3,300 new. The machine cuts great and stripes really well with stock blades. I keep the discharge chute up which disperses the clippings a whole lot better. Not as safe with regard to rocks and sticks but it really keeps clippings from building up.

If you haven't already done so, invest in the hour meter for about $80 or so. It will be the best investment that you will ever make. It keeps you on top of the maintenance instead of playing the guessing game when it comes to changing oil and greasing.
  6. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

It'll be a good mower for you, but get rid of that grass catcher! Or at the very least, use it very seldom.
  7. citic solutions

citic solutions LawnSite Member

Love my Scag. I paid $2800 for the 48" WB with 15 Kawi

PJAKJF LawnSite Member
    from MA

thanks alot guys for your input
  9. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scag 20hp with a 52in cut, it is a hydro. Its always been a great mower with no problems. I think that you will like yours very much. Good luck with it.
  10. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

I love Scags. Built like a tank. They can handle many years of hard use and still cut nice. Easy to work on/repair. I'm not so sure about a belt-drive though. See if you can demo a hydro. They are faster and easier to maneuver and require less adjusting. The increased productivity and reliability easily pay the additional cost.
    The bag, although pricey, really speeds up spring and fall clean up. Also a good investment. You can pick up a used 48 Scag with hydros for maybe $1500 and still get several more years out of it.