Scags Hurricane mulching system

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toddy204, Mar 13, 2008.

1. toddy204

toddy204 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone using one of these on a 36" walkbehind. I am wanting to purchase one but wanting to know how well they work. Dealer tells me they work great and they are the only mulch kit that design one that both chambers are not totally blocked off from each other. Making it mulch better and also making it easy to go back to side discharging with only taking the side plate off and keeping all of the baffles on. He said in doing that it really chops the grass up real fine before side discharging the clippings. Does anyone have any input on this? If it works as he says it does it sounds great to me. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!!

2. toddy204

Anyone want to help?

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

In my opinion from years of mulching if the chamber are not blocked off all the clippings pile up on 1 side. They get mulched but you can't hide them as well. That would work on a lawn if you went over it twice once the the chute blocked and 1 time open to spread the windrow of clippins back out to hide them. I would say No. Or DEMO 1st .

4. toddy204

What mower do you prefer over your Exmark or your Hustler. Which leaves the better cut? What stripes the yard out better?

5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I like Exmark with the Ultracut deck the best. They stripe the same or are very close, they both have stripe rollers. Plus the Ultracut cuts cleaner both when side discharging and mulching. Also the Ultracut doesn't have the blowout that the Xr7 deck has which is a plus, when mowing dry areas the dust and grass blows out the front, it comes back on you. I would like to try the new XR7 deck to see how much it's improved.