Scag's new mulching system

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dog245, Nov 15, 2005.

1. dog245

dog245 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Just yesterday spent the money and put the new hurricane mulching system on my TT with a 27hp kohler and 52" deck. And was I impressed with the results. I'm talking complete irratification of leaves. As with all it has some blowout but not much. Has anybody else tried the hurricane system? And if so, I'm interested in hearing about it. My mower has the new velocity plus deck, which is also a great improvement to the advantage decks.
    Best Wishes to All

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

How is the new velocity deck different than the advantage.
  3. dog245

dog245 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Much larger discharge opening along with reconfigured baffels. When you purchase the hurricane system one of the components you add are fins placed on each spindle which directs clippings back toward the blades. I'm anxious to see how this works when side discharging. I'm hoping it eliminates some of the accumulation under the deck. Also, the V.P. deck has reenforcement under the front.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Please tell me you have some pictures of this velocity deck...
  5. dog245

dog245 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Go to, Z's and click on accessories.
    Look at the hurricane system and give me your advice.
    It looks to be a little intimidating and I had some apprehensions about the transfere process back to "normal" mowing. However, when you get it all assembled (on the mower) all you have to do is take off seven or eight bolts and the entire system, minus the spindle fins, comes off. Then replace the original front baffel.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I gave my honest opinion on this system some time ago when it first came out.
    But this was only an opinion from what my best guess was looking and pictures.

Personally, the spindle fins ("eye of the Hurricane baffles") really interest me.

However, I believe you will find this kit to be a better leaf mulcher than a grass mulcher. I say this because I never had any luck with a similar design I was trying before this came out. (My first attempt at a mulch on demand system).

I'm afraid that in grass you are going to encounter the same problem I did.
    Buildup and major clogging.
    This will likely begin in those corners and because they are corners rather than smooth arcs.

By corners, I mean those shown here where the mulching baffle bolts to the stock front baffle.

I hope I'm wrong about all this though....
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Aside from that and not to hijack your thread, but I was actually asking about pictures of your actual deck.

I'm curious to actually 'see' some of the new changes Scag has made.... Advantage-to-Velocity
  8. dog245

dog245 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I won't be able to do it tonight. However, I will try to get you some tomorrow. Also, I'll include some pic's of the finished product. I have some pretty large leaf jobs tomorrow.
    As for grass mulching, I bet your right. But I wasn't planning to use it for anything except leaves. As I stated previously I'm anxious to see haw it works discharging clippings with the fins in place.
    Thanks for the input and I'll get back with you tomorrow.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Cool beans!

It's even cooler that you didn't allow my opinion to offend you about your new accessories. I was hoping it wouldn't be taken as a bash because it wasn't meant to be. Only time and use will tell one way or the other. Maybe they did something a little better than me. If not, doesn't sound like it matters to you since you bought it for leaves.

I would appreciate those pictures, and I have some other questions about the deck I'd like to ask once I see it. I also think I am as anxious as you are to see how those fins affect things.

I'm always interested in new stuff....
  10. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 1 year old SCAG 36" and have recently purchased the Hurricane mulching system. It works incredibly well on leaves but is not good at all on grass only. Leaves, (even damp ones) it turns to dust but on grass it leaves a trail of uncut grass between the blades unless you go very very slow. The blades were brand new (they came with the mulch system) so that is not the problem and I did not have any trouble with this when side discharging with the stock blades.