Scags new "turbo baffle" and clumping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bart may, May 12, 2004.

1. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I just bought a new cub and am having major clumping problems in the spring grass growth. The new turbo baffle seems to really reduce the size of the discharge opening so that you can't get rid of clippings fast enough so it poops out a big loaf. My question is have any of you taken of the baffle to allow more room in the discharge shoot and has it helped? Thanks for any advice.

2. someshadelawn

someshadelawn LawnSite Member

I have had the same problem with my cub. If the grass is the least bit damp it clumps up like crazy. Not only that, but I have had to clean the deck upwards of twice a day some days. I tried taking the baffle off, but the blowout on the front of the deck is terrible. I looked like the jolly green giant after about 5 minutes of mowing. I picked up some deck treatment (mo deck anti stick) stuff today. I hope that it works!!

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Is your blade speed up to snuff? Rpms high enough??????? Deck pitch just on????????
    John

4. someshadelawn

someshadelawn LawnSite Member

I have checked the deck pitch, it is fine, but I was trying to run doubles on this mower and it just doesn't seem to have the HP to get double's going at the right speed. I went back to singles, and sprayed the deck with non stick. We will see how it does in the morning. I have to start early so the grass will still be dew damp.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Good Luck!!! Keep us informed

6. qwikv6

qwikv6 LawnSite Member

I have been having the same problem and it is starting to get very irritating. We here in South Central PA have not had any real rain for a couple of days. I go out and mow today, grass is dry, and it am still getting clumps. It's not like your cutting an overgrown yard. I mow my clients once a week and this is the results I am getting from my 2004 Tiger Cub 48".

I thought about taking off the turbo baffle. I understand that it comes standard in '04. I leave my front deck baffle in the center/ all around range. I hate double cutting just to get rid of the clumps. It's costing me $.

I am using the standard scag blades that came with my Scag. I was thinking of getting some hi lifts. I also thought about running doubles but like you said.

It's as if the deck is not getting the grass out from under it fast enough....?

I think I heard a guy talking on LS about changing blades over to "bobcat offsets" and that seemed to help his cut quality. (I don't think he mentioned clumping)

If anyone has a Scag Advantage deck with this problem let's hear it!

7. qwikv6

qwikv6 LawnSite Member

BTW, my Cub has 40 hours on it.

Is there a better blade/ blade combo to run on these decks?

8. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Back to my original question. Has anyone taken off the turbo baffle at the chute? Does this help the clumping problem? And yes the engine is cranked up and blades are sharp.

9. qwikv6

qwikv6 LawnSite Member

Bart,

I may take mine off in the morning...

10. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

The only time I had this problem is when the grass was wet and high and at that time everything was stock.

I've tried different set ups, wanting to use a mulch plate. I'm set up now with doubles, center baffle at its lowest and a Trimmer Trap that will be tested tomorrow. Did great with just the chute. Too slow with the mulch plate for this time of year.

I've got the turbo baffle on now but remember clumping when the mulch plate was on without it. Reinstalled it under the plate and had some clumping in thick grass. But this set up should be great in summer dry grass.

Sorry, probably not much help.

2004 Tiger Cub w/ 48D - 20hp