Scag's new walk behind SWZT review!! With pics!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by GMLC, Aug 10, 2013.

1. SGPMI

SGPMI LawnSite Member

hey i was wondering if any one put a sulky on the SWZT mower and what one should i buy and does it void the warranty?
  2. bens lawn care

bens lawn care LawnSite Member

I was just looking at the swzt's last week and the dealer priced it and also priced me a sulky for it so no it wont void your warranty other than that I don't have any experience with that machine
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You know that the transaxle is not commercial.
  4. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

Het Ed, I've seen others say the same thing and I don't understand. I own an SWZT and it has commercial written on it I believe - keep meaning to check that. In any case, how can it not be commercial? How many Harry Homeowners are running hydro walk-behinds? It just doesn't make sense.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. G-Home

G-Home LawnSite Member
    from CT

Harry Homeowner here, call it how you want I'm not giving it back ;)

Overkill for me...sure, I'll be the first to admit it. Will I ever need a new mower, not unless I ever want an Exmark. I have no desire to use a sulky, so these subpar transaxles are fine for me.
  6. mowcrazy

mowcrazy LawnSite Senior Member

This goes for the sulky question........ I'm getting ready to demo one of these machines..... My rep has it and guess what..... They mounted a sulky on it........ I saw you all discussing this issue and asked him about it yesterday..... He said they have sold around thirty of them EQUIPPED WITH A SULKY and it DOES NOT void the warranty!!!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. mowcrazy

mowcrazy LawnSite Senior Member

Neither are the gear drive transmissions on several older walk behinds I've owned but they pulled my lard ass around for years with no problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

your rep is "technically" wrong.

Here's the skinny.

I used to work P/T for Dane Scag, after he left metal craft, as a result, I know a few blokes in the industry just by association, even some over at his former alma mater, Metalcraft.

In the 22 years I've been in landscaping, I've seen more scag Wbs WITH sulkys than without.

I was looking at outfitting one of the companies I work with, with a upgrade fleet to scag walk behinds with sulkies last year.

So I began talking to the dealer when he fed me this line "Attaching sulkies to wbs will void the warranty"

Well not exactly.

called a 'buddy' at metal craft and asked him "What GIVES"?

And he confirmed that it's 'technically' true, that scags, in the literature say not to attach a sulky to the machine.

HOWEVER the also said they have NEVER since he has been working there at SCAG (which is WELL over a decade) refused a warranty on a hydro because of a sulky related issue and that he/they are well aware of all the sulkies on scags world wide.
    I was talking to the head of the warranty division.

So the statistics say, No scag Hydro has EVER FAILED due to a sulky related issue.
    0% failure rate.
    IF it DID, maybe they would deny the warranty claimÂ… but it never has happened, according to him.
  9. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

10. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN