Lawn Care Forum banner

Scag's new walk behind SWZT review!! With pics!!

131K views 274 replies 57 participants last post by  Wayne Lawn Care 
#1 ·
Due to the interest on LS I decided to review the new Scag walk behind SWZT. Like all of my reviews these are my honest opinions and feelings based on my personal experience. They are not intended to offend anyone or be taken as absolute fact. I try not to start brand wars but I will compare other brands that I have experience with.

Honestly I went into this review with a negative view on the SWZT. Im a huge fan of Scag’s velocity deck and couldn’t understand why it was not on this mower. Also I was under the impression that this was a high end home owner/entry level commercial unit based on Scag’s info that I read online and the original literature calling the deck the “freedom” deck. Well I was kind of right and wrong…..and didn’t realize what the SWZT’s niche market was until I started to operate it.

SWZT - Product Highlights:

36" or 48" Scag commercial-grade, fabricated cutter deck options
Ultra-comfortable, highly ergonomic control system
Powerful Kawasaki engine options (481FS and 541FS)
Dual hydraulic ZT-2800 transaxle drive system with cooling fans
Heavy gauge handle tower and main frame for durability
Ground speeds up to 7.4mph for more productivity
5.5 gallon fuel tank with built-in fuel gauge and cup holder
Sealed, no maintenance, aluminum blade drive spindles
Flat-Free front caster tires
Massive skid plates to protect the bottom of the mower and drive system

SWZT - Product Dimensions 36" SWZT 48"SWZT

Length: 75.5" 75.5"
Height: 44" 44"
Tracking Width: 36.25" 41.5"
Width (chute down) 48.5" 60.5"
Width (chute up) 37" 49"
Weight: 550 lbs. 585 lbs.

So I went to my Scag dealer this morning to take my first look at the SWZT in person. My first impressions were it has the typical great Scag craftsmanship and fit and finish. Perfect welds and powder coat. The machines layout was thought out very well. The build is of great quality but I have to be honest the frame is tiny as are the front casters and wheels. I was turned off by this at first but now understand that this was intentional. After spending 10 minutes or so inspecting the machine I was able to operate it in the dealers back lot and parking lot for about 20 minutes.

Now the good stuff!! The new SWZT is the smoothest WB I have ever operated!!! The ZT2800’s operated like silk and are super responsive. Also the best reverse I have ever used on a WB, very fast. I tried to scuff the tires during zero turns on tar and sand with no luck. The way the trans was designed is to almost eliminate one tire stopping completely. I couldn’t believe how light the machine felt and how light the foot print was. Scag hit a home run with these controls. They are in the perfect position and don’t have a long pull for guys with small hands. The controls felt stiff with the machine off and parked but when in operation they are the easiest controls I have ever used (the least effort). Better than the ESC and DD controls IMO. I have not tried the Z style controls on a WB yet so I can’t compare to those. Within minutes I was completely comfortable with the machine. The deck height system is amazing!

So after operating this machine I realized what it was designed for. Small high end residential and commercial accounts that cant take the weight of a full sized ZTR, WB or Stander. Accounts that are smooth and with high quality turf that requires little to no impact. BOP fans will LOVE this machine!! What this machine is not is a mower you send out to large rough properties, have crew members curb hop or areas that have a chance of impacts on rocks, foreclosure properties etc. etc. Its just not built like the SWZ that can take a crazy amount of abuse. I consider it a small framed mower that has a niche market, a huge niche market. High end gated yards, commercial/residential properties in town or small suburb yards.

Pro’s

Smooth operation
Light footprint
Great Reverse
Controls/Comfort
Easy on turf
Deck Height System
Gas gauge

Con’s

Tiny frame, casters, front end and tires
Not the velocity deck
Deck only has a 10 gauge top (sides are 7 gauge)
No anti scalp wheels

Next week I will be going back to my dealer to see if I can get a full demo. When I do I will continue my review. Which will be on cut quality and this mysterious deck….The deck opening did appear good sized and it has high lift blades. It did not have adjustable baffles or much protection around the skirt.

Enjoy the pics…

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Cockpit Air travel

Tool Automotive tire Electronic instrument Motor vehicle Bag

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

See less See more
#103 ·
Just read it through and I love the review bud! I actually bought a scagenstein from a guy in N.H last summer... I believe that it is an sw with the floating deck from the swzu on it... but with the bull nose deck, not the velocity... This thing is nuts but it cuts great!!! Just goes to show that even a scagenstein made up of different parts can do an amazing job! And for any Scag guys reading this... I am looking for the main belt cover for the deck...(haha, sorry for that GMLC!)

#104 ·
Just read it through and I love the review bud! I actually bought a scagenstein from a guy in N.H last summer... I believe that it is an sw with the floating deck from the swzu on it... but with the bull nose deck, not the velocity... This thing is nuts but it cuts great!!! Just goes to show that even a scagenstein made up of different parts can do an amazing job! And for any Scag guys reading this... I am looking for the main belt cover for the deck...(haha, sorry for that GMLC!)
Cool brotha!! You have any pics?
Posted via Mobile Device

#105 ·
I do not currently... I made a promise to myself early on to never post pics here but I am going to change that rule in the next couple of months.... HaHa..... The guy I bought it from had a velocity deck for another 100 bucks but I didn't have it on me! Called him the week after and it was gone! Oh well, I think I told you before that I run a 2012 Walker MT26 for my main mower and the scag is the hilly, ditchy, rough stuff mower.... But I had ran scags for 15 years working in the Greater Boston area.... I absolutely love them! I know you run Gravely which I am super impressed with... Never got to run one but I checked one out at my dealer and WOW!!! They look so solid! A tad bit off topic but have you seen the new Walker web site? I know you are an equipment junkie and you would probably enjoy this....

#107 ·
I do not currently... I made a promise to myself early on to never post pics here but I am going to change that rule in the next couple of months.... HaHa..... The guy I bought it from had a velocity deck for another 100 bucks but I didn't have it on me! Called him the week after and it was gone! Oh well, I think I told you before that I run a 2012 Walker MT26 for my main mower and the scag is the hilly, ditchy, rough stuff mower.... But I had ran scags for 15 years working in the Greater Boston area.... I absolutely love them! I know you run Gravely which I am super impressed with... Never got to run one but I checked one out at my dealer and WOW!!! They look so solid! A tad bit off topic but have you seen the new Walker web site? I know you are an equipment junkie and you would probably enjoy this....
Not yet. I saw your thread and got to check it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

#108 ·
I wish they would bring that thing back. You are right, it is one of the best walk behinds ever made.
I still want to demo and review the Gravely WB with pro steer controls. If its as good as there ZTR's we may have another great WB without pistol grips.
Posted via Mobile Device

#109 ·
And for those who dont remember the Ultimate. Probably the best WB ever made.

http://www.scag.com/swzu.html
Posted via Mobile Device
DAMN RIGHT!!!!!! This mower with ECS type controls and velocity deck would change the world of walk behinds all together IMO!!!!!!!! It would a little bit anyways because Id be the first in my area to lay cash down for one!!!

I was also told at the open house the other day that next year the new scag with new controls would be offered in 52"

#111 ·
I still want to demo and review the Gravely WB with pro steer controls. If its as good as there ZTR's we may have another great WB without pistol grips.
Posted via Mobile Device
You have a pic of this???? Your not talking about the stand on are you? I just went to there website and cant find a "walk behind" with anything other than pistol grip??

#112 ·
Seems like there are few WB that look like the Gravely. Are those the same thing?
The Pro Steer seems really good. Is there a speed lever? or if the far you push the faster will go?
I know Gravely makes green ones at there plant for JD. Quite possible they make them for others too. Im pretty sure the farther you push the faster you go.
Posted via Mobile Device

#113 ·
DAMN RIGHT!!!!!! This mower with ECS type controls and velocity deck would change the world of walk behinds all together IMO!!!!!!!! It would a little bit anyways because Id be the first in my area to lay cash down for one!!!

I was also told at the open house the other day that next year the new scag with new controls would be offered in 52"
2010 was the last year of the Scag Ultimate with 48" and 52" Velocity deck options. They were special order machines.
Posted via Mobile Device

#117 ·
#120 ·
Question for you... What made the Scag Ultimate so good? I am not the best when technically speaking about walk behinds but I know what works well. Just wondering what exactly made it so great? Other than the Velocity deck of course...
Full floating deck. The only one Scag made on a WB.
Posted via Mobile Device

#122 ·
#123 ·
I am probably going to pick up the 48 and 52 inch version of that baby next year depending on how finances are. Those are excellent machines and are built like tanks. They remind me a lot of the Exmark Turf Tracers except they have different controls and a larger reservoir for the hydro oil.
Awesome! I look foward to your review of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.