Lawn Care Forum banner

Scag's new walk behind SWZT review!! With pics!!

131K views 274 replies 57 participants last post by  Wayne Lawn Care 
#1 ·
Due to the interest on LS I decided to review the new Scag walk behind SWZT. Like all of my reviews these are my honest opinions and feelings based on my personal experience. They are not intended to offend anyone or be taken as absolute fact. I try not to start brand wars but I will compare other brands that I have experience with.

Honestly I went into this review with a negative view on the SWZT. Im a huge fan of Scag’s velocity deck and couldn’t understand why it was not on this mower. Also I was under the impression that this was a high end home owner/entry level commercial unit based on Scag’s info that I read online and the original literature calling the deck the “freedom” deck. Well I was kind of right and wrong…..and didn’t realize what the SWZT’s niche market was until I started to operate it.

SWZT - Product Highlights:

36" or 48" Scag commercial-grade, fabricated cutter deck options
Ultra-comfortable, highly ergonomic control system
Powerful Kawasaki engine options (481FS and 541FS)
Dual hydraulic ZT-2800 transaxle drive system with cooling fans
Heavy gauge handle tower and main frame for durability
Ground speeds up to 7.4mph for more productivity
5.5 gallon fuel tank with built-in fuel gauge and cup holder
Sealed, no maintenance, aluminum blade drive spindles
Flat-Free front caster tires
Massive skid plates to protect the bottom of the mower and drive system

SWZT - Product Dimensions 36" SWZT 48"SWZT

Length: 75.5" 75.5"
Height: 44" 44"
Tracking Width: 36.25" 41.5"
Width (chute down) 48.5" 60.5"
Width (chute up) 37" 49"
Weight: 550 lbs. 585 lbs.

So I went to my Scag dealer this morning to take my first look at the SWZT in person. My first impressions were it has the typical great Scag craftsmanship and fit and finish. Perfect welds and powder coat. The machines layout was thought out very well. The build is of great quality but I have to be honest the frame is tiny as are the front casters and wheels. I was turned off by this at first but now understand that this was intentional. After spending 10 minutes or so inspecting the machine I was able to operate it in the dealers back lot and parking lot for about 20 minutes.

Now the good stuff!! The new SWZT is the smoothest WB I have ever operated!!! The ZT2800’s operated like silk and are super responsive. Also the best reverse I have ever used on a WB, very fast. I tried to scuff the tires during zero turns on tar and sand with no luck. The way the trans was designed is to almost eliminate one tire stopping completely. I couldn’t believe how light the machine felt and how light the foot print was. Scag hit a home run with these controls. They are in the perfect position and don’t have a long pull for guys with small hands. The controls felt stiff with the machine off and parked but when in operation they are the easiest controls I have ever used (the least effort). Better than the ESC and DD controls IMO. I have not tried the Z style controls on a WB yet so I can’t compare to those. Within minutes I was completely comfortable with the machine. The deck height system is amazing!

So after operating this machine I realized what it was designed for. Small high end residential and commercial accounts that cant take the weight of a full sized ZTR, WB or Stander. Accounts that are smooth and with high quality turf that requires little to no impact. BOP fans will LOVE this machine!! What this machine is not is a mower you send out to large rough properties, have crew members curb hop or areas that have a chance of impacts on rocks, foreclosure properties etc. etc. Its just not built like the SWZ that can take a crazy amount of abuse. I consider it a small framed mower that has a niche market, a huge niche market. High end gated yards, commercial/residential properties in town or small suburb yards.

Pro’s

Smooth operation
Light footprint
Great Reverse
Controls/Comfort
Easy on turf
Deck Height System
Gas gauge

Con’s

Tiny frame, casters, front end and tires
Not the velocity deck
Deck only has a 10 gauge top (sides are 7 gauge)
No anti scalp wheels

Next week I will be going back to my dealer to see if I can get a full demo. When I do I will continue my review. Which will be on cut quality and this mysterious deck….The deck opening did appear good sized and it has high lift blades. It did not have adjustable baffles or much protection around the skirt.

Enjoy the pics…

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Cockpit Air travel

Tool Automotive tire Electronic instrument Motor vehicle Bag

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

See less See more
#133 ·
When I was at the dealer they had 6 blown engines and all had less than 6 months use. All from one company. The conclusion so far tooooo much dust. When I checked ours it was loader beyond anything I ever seen.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Auto part

I had dealer to order engine cowen and brackets to put a cannister on mine like on vride.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Auto part

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Reflex camera Camera lens

#137 ·
I'm also hearing that these newer FS engines have a junk air filtration system, you basically have to clean out the air filter daily the best you can. Pain
Posted via Mobile Device
The darn filter looks fine but they layed it over and most of the dust is accumulation on the top. That suggest the unit might not be getting enough air. I am definitely putting on the cannister. I just finished rebuilding a 4 year old 13 hp kaw and I put a cannister on it.

#143 ·
Whay does it have a 7 "notch" speed control?

Is the Kawasaki series engine homeowners grade?

What the price?

Wheres he sulky?
I have never seen one around here did not even know we had scag dealers around until I checked earlier this week they look like excellent mowers and well built.

Props to GMLC for another excellent review the review master :clapping:

#144 ·
First post here, just a homeowner looking to buy one of these and this thread caught my eye.

Is this the same filter set-up as Scag's SWZ and SW mowers? How do those filters look after 25hrs?
Every kawasaki filter that is non cannister is basically the same as I posted and they accumulate a lot of dust. I don't think there I s another engine option. This would not be a problem for homeower. If I were you I would get the snapper sw20 cheaper and is every bit as good as this unit.

#146 ·
When I was at the dealer they had 6 blown engines and all had less than 6 months use. All from one company. The conclusion so far tooooo much dust. When I checked ours it was loader beyond anything I ever seen.

View attachment 291454

I had dealer to order engine cowen and brackets to put a cannister on mine like on vride.
If you got one of these engines you bette4 get a canister air filter on it. More of these sre failing at local dealer and most have less than one year. An kawasaki is not giving warranty. They claim filter not chwng3d.

#147 ·
Only dealer here that will give a demo is the deere dealer. Everybody else looks at you like you are crazy.
They also lease them out and people turn them back in for sales on 500 hours for new ones thought my buddy up the street was only one that did that but nope.

Have not tried a SCAG only thing missing that I have not tried and am going to soon as I get time.

#148 ·
Question to poster named ed2hess:
Why on earth would you modify that machine when it is brand new?
Why would you not take it back to your dealer, or better yet make the dealer or Scag corporate itself come pick it up and get your damn money back?
Why in god's name would you put up with inferior engineering? Like giving away free money do you?

I've stood behind scag for quite a few years now, but I am definitely disliking this new walk behind more and more as the reports come in on it. I would never EVER buy a first year model from any mowing manufacturers. You people that do are paying them (scag) to test their machines for them. In all logic and common sense the mower manufacturers should be paying us for all new first year models they want to(sell) test on the buying pubic and private people. Hell, the dealers around here won't even get the pace reps to show us one let alone demo one. That in itself is the biggest red flag I have ever seen.

We are in the market to buy 5 new walk behinds within the next 4 days. All cash sale. We will not do business with toro/exmark. We will not do business with gravely. We will only do business with ferris or scag for walk behinds. But we have an incompetent ferris dealer that is still 30 miles away. And we will definitely not pay scag the ungodly high prices for their SWZ line up. So we are at a crossroads when my business is counting on a competent manufacturer and their commercial walk behind machines.

Will scag re-engineer this new machine(SWZT) to actually benefit commercial users? My best guess is the bean counters and greed are detracting from the main principle of their business. Profit over quality.

#149 ·
Profit over quality.
You hit on a good point. I would love to get the new Scag WB mentioned here, but some of the actual components it uses are residential quality. These 3 upgrades would make the SWZT a hit: ZT-3100 transaxles, Kawasaki "FX" series engines, and Scag's Velocity deck. Scag could call it the SWZT Pro because now it would be a true pro-quality machine. They could charge an extra $800 - $1000 for it, and I would gladly pay it.
Scag.....pay attention: If your motto is "Simply the best", you need to produce SIMPLY THE BEST. Anything less substantiates that you are not committed to making SIMPLY THE BEST.

#150 · (Edited)
You hit on a good point. I would love to get the new Scag WB mentioned here, but some of the actual components it uses are residential quality. These 3 upgrades would make the SWZT a hit: ZT-3100 transaxles, Kawasaki "FX" series engines, and Scag's Velocity deck. Scag could call it the SWZT Pro because now it would be a true pro-quality machine. They could charge an extra $800 - $1000 for it, and I would gladly pay it.
Scag.....pay attention: If your motto is "Simply the best", you need to produce SIMPLY THE BEST. Anything less substantiates that you are not committed to making SIMPLY THE BEST.
Why I am sticking with Exmark, Toro, Bob Cat and Gravely Walk behinds these days honestly. They are true commercial walk behinds. I have been trying to like this unit but I simply cannot.

Also Scag needs to beef up the frame on these SWZTs. The old Pro V and SWZU had a pretty thick frame, why does this one look so thin?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.