Lawn Care Forum banner

Scag's new walk behind SWZT review!! With pics!!

131K views 274 replies 57 participants last post by  Wayne Lawn Care 
#1 ·
Due to the interest on LS I decided to review the new Scag walk behind SWZT. Like all of my reviews these are my honest opinions and feelings based on my personal experience. They are not intended to offend anyone or be taken as absolute fact. I try not to start brand wars but I will compare other brands that I have experience with.

Honestly I went into this review with a negative view on the SWZT. Im a huge fan of Scag’s velocity deck and couldn’t understand why it was not on this mower. Also I was under the impression that this was a high end home owner/entry level commercial unit based on Scag’s info that I read online and the original literature calling the deck the “freedom” deck. Well I was kind of right and wrong…..and didn’t realize what the SWZT’s niche market was until I started to operate it.

SWZT - Product Highlights:

36" or 48" Scag commercial-grade, fabricated cutter deck options
Ultra-comfortable, highly ergonomic control system
Powerful Kawasaki engine options (481FS and 541FS)
Dual hydraulic ZT-2800 transaxle drive system with cooling fans
Heavy gauge handle tower and main frame for durability
Ground speeds up to 7.4mph for more productivity
5.5 gallon fuel tank with built-in fuel gauge and cup holder
Sealed, no maintenance, aluminum blade drive spindles
Flat-Free front caster tires
Massive skid plates to protect the bottom of the mower and drive system

SWZT - Product Dimensions 36" SWZT 48"SWZT

Length: 75.5" 75.5"
Height: 44" 44"
Tracking Width: 36.25" 41.5"
Width (chute down) 48.5" 60.5"
Width (chute up) 37" 49"
Weight: 550 lbs. 585 lbs.

So I went to my Scag dealer this morning to take my first look at the SWZT in person. My first impressions were it has the typical great Scag craftsmanship and fit and finish. Perfect welds and powder coat. The machines layout was thought out very well. The build is of great quality but I have to be honest the frame is tiny as are the front casters and wheels. I was turned off by this at first but now understand that this was intentional. After spending 10 minutes or so inspecting the machine I was able to operate it in the dealers back lot and parking lot for about 20 minutes.

Now the good stuff!! The new SWZT is the smoothest WB I have ever operated!!! The ZT2800Â’s operated like silk and are super responsive. Also the best reverse I have ever used on a WB, very fast. I tried to scuff the tires during zero turns on tar and sand with no luck. The way the trans was designed is to almost eliminate one tire stopping completely. I couldnÂ’t believe how light the machine felt and how light the foot print was. Scag hit a home run with these controls. They are in the perfect position and donÂ’t have a long pull for guys with small hands. The controls felt stiff with the machine off and parked but when in operation they are the easiest controls I have ever used (the least effort). Better than the ESC and DD controls IMO. I have not tried the Z style controls on a WB yet so I canÂ’t compare to those. Within minutes I was completely comfortable with the machine. The deck height system is amazing!

So after operating this machine I realized what it was designed for. Small high end residential and commercial accounts that cant take the weight of a full sized ZTR, WB or Stander. Accounts that are smooth and with high quality turf that requires little to no impact. BOP fans will LOVE this machine!! What this machine is not is a mower you send out to large rough properties, have crew members curb hop or areas that have a chance of impacts on rocks, foreclosure properties etc. etc. Its just not built like the SWZ that can take a crazy amount of abuse. I consider it a small framed mower that has a niche market, a huge niche market. High end gated yards, commercial/residential properties in town or small suburb yards.

ProÂ’s

Smooth operation
Light footprint
Great Reverse
Controls/Comfort
Easy on turf
Deck Height System
Gas gauge

ConÂ’s

Tiny frame, casters, front end and tires
Not the velocity deck
Deck only has a 10 gauge top (sides are 7 gauge)
No anti scalp wheels

Next week I will be going back to my dealer to see if I can get a full demo. When I do I will continue my review. Which will be on cut quality and this mysterious deckÂ….The deck opening did appear good sized and it has high lift blades. It did not have adjustable baffles or much protection around the skirt.

Enjoy the picsÂ…

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Cockpit Air travel

Tool Automotive tire Electronic instrument Motor vehicle Bag

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

See less See more
#178 ·
Today I did maintenance on my unit 2 weeks after putting the cannister air filter on. There was practically nothing on the cannister unbelievable. And with the no grease spindles and hard scag blades...I greased the wheels checked oil and loaded it up. I always hated messing with washing and drying those prefilters.

#180 ·
I've used this mower 5 times so that would put me at about 8-9 hours, I know that's a part of a day for some of you. I've cleaned the air filter after every mow and it's been no more than some dust and debris, but I can see how a full days worth of work would accumulate within Kawasaki's 25 hour recommended cleaning regimen. I'm interested in the canister setup, but so far I can't see the logic for my usage. The lawn type I'm cutting is the front and side are sod quality KBG, while the backyard is Perennial Rye. They sis little to no dirt areas and relatively no weed or clover.

I used Scag's stock blades for the first 3 mowings and have to say I didn't care for the brown tips on the grass blades two days post mow. When I was finally able to remove the blades to put the G5's on I noticed the blades edge (the part you'd file down) had a funky ridge detail, best way I could describe it is I looks like the edge had been welded, you know like someone fanned out a roll of quarters. The clippings are all but gone now with the G5's and I don't get as much browning on the grass tips either. My plan is to sharpen the stock blades even though all I've heard is the factory condition of your blades is the best they'll ever be.

My only other negative about this mower is stray leaves, if I don't pass over them with the left most area of the deck they just blow out the discharge. The good thing is it blows it so far out I usually get another chance to mow it. By Fall I'll have the Hurricane mulch kit since I use every leaf that drops and visits my yard. Next spring I'll try and keep the kit on, maybe that'll help with stray leaves too, but I've heard the mulch kit could yield unpleasant results in Spring conditions. We'll see.

Overall I love this machine. While my 33" Troy Bilt did me well for 10 yrs the most hated aspect was once I walked over the grass the blades didn't have the power to lift them back up, the SWZT might just suck up small dogs if they get to close. I can't imagine what a Velocity deck would be like. So two thumbs up for me.

#181 ·
:dancing:e
Ed, enlighten me, how often would you sharpen scag blades? Ive heard that 'need less sharpening' beforeÂ… not sure if I entirely believe it.

How often do you sharpen?
We moved from weekly to every two weeks. And when I took them off after 2 weeks they didn't look that bad. One of the big companies drops off trailers monthly for maintenance.

#182 ·
I've used this mower 5 times so that would put me at about 8-9 hours, I know that's a part of a day for some of you. I've cleaned the air filter after every mow and it's been no more than some dust and debris, but I can see how a full days worth of work would accumulate within Kawasaki's 25 hour recommended cleaning regimen. I'm interested in the canister setup, but so far I can't see the logic for my usage. The lawn type I'm cutting is the front and side are sod quality KBG, while the backyard is Perennial Rye. They sis little to no dirt areas and relatively no weed or clover.

I used Scag's stock blades for the first 3 mowings and have to say I didn't care for the brown tips on the grass blades two days post mow.
Used scag blades on all kinds of grasses including rye and no significant damage .......

#183 ·
:dancing:e
We moved from weekly to every two weeks. And when I took them off after 2 weeks they didn't look that bad. One of the big companies drops off trailers monthly for maintenance.
Are you talking about marbain blades? I didn't notice any increased longevity using the Scag marbains. We still cycle through the marbains because they came as oem on the Scags but I prefer the G5's.

#187 ·
Can you give me a p/n for gator g5 blades for 61" turf tiger? I will try them thanks
Gator G5 596-347

I prefer the G5's over the Scag marbain for these reasons...

1. Marbains cost more
2. I believe the G5's in conjunction with a Velocity plus deck is as good as it gets. Finely chopped grass with maximum discharge.
3. I don't see any increased time between sharpenings from the marbains compared to the G5's.
4. I believe Oregon makes the best blades in the industry.
5. Ease of purchase. I order the G5's online and 3 or 4 days later they're at the shop. I have to run by the Scag dealer to purchase marbains.

#188 ·
Gator G5 596-347

I prefer the G5's over the Scag marbain for these reasons...

1. Marbains cost more
2. I believe the G5's in conjunction with a Velocity plus deck is as good as it gets. Finely chopped grass with maximum discharge.
3. I don't see any increased time between sharpenings from the marbains compared to the G5's.
4. I believe Oregon makes the best blades in the industry.
5. Ease of purchase. I order the G5's online and 3 or 4 days later they're at the shop. I have to run by the Scag dealer to purchase mimarbains.
Is this a good price from ebay? Thanks a lot

Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Electronic device

#190 ·
The G6's are thicker, quarter inch, but I don't see any positives to running them. They rob my power and according to the Oregon website, the only benefit over the G5's is longevity because they are thicker. That does nothing for me. We sharpen our blades fairly frequently regardless.

#194 ·
You know that the transaxle is not commercial.
Het Ed, I've seen others say the same thing and I don't understand. I own an SWZT and it has commercial written on it I believe - keep meaning to check that. In any case, how can it not be commercial? How many Harry Homeowners are running hydro walk-behinds? It just doesn't make sense.
Posted via Mobile Device

#195 ·
Harry Homeowner here, call it how you want I'm not giving it back ;)

Overkill for me...sure, I'll be the first to admit it. Will I ever need a new mower again...no, not unless I ever want an Exmark. I have no desire to use a sulky, so these subpar transaxles are fine for me.

#196 ·
This goes for the sulky question........ I'm getting ready to demo one of these machines..... My rep has it and guess what..... They mounted a sulky on it........ I saw you all discussing this issue and asked him about it yesterday..... He said they have sold around thirty of them EQUIPPED WITH A SULKY and it DOES NOT void the warranty!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

#198 ·
This goes for the sulky question........ I'm getting ready to demo one of these machines..... My rep has it and guess what..... They mounted a sulky on it........ I saw you all discussing this issue and asked him about it yesterday..... He said they have sold around thirty of them EQUIPPED WITH A SULKY and it DOES NOT void the warranty!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
your rep is "technically" wrong.

Here's the skinny.

I used to work P/T for Dane Scag, after he left metal craft, as a result, I know a few blokes in the industry just by association, even some over at his former alma mater, Metalcraft.

In the 22 years I've been in landscaping, I've seen more scag Wbs WITH sulkys than without.

I was looking at outfitting one of the companies I work with, with a upgrade fleet to scag walk behinds with sulkies last year.

So I began talking to the dealer when he fed me this line "Attaching sulkies to wbs will void the warranty"
N00B!
Right?

Well not exactly.

called a 'buddy' at metal craft and asked him "What GIVES"?

And he confirmed that it's 'technically' true, that scags, in the literature say not to attach a sulky to the machine.

HOWEVER the also said they have NEVER since he has been working there at SCAG (which is WELL over a decade) refused a warranty on a hydro because of a sulky related issue and that he/they are well aware of all the sulkies on scags world wide.
I was talking to the head of the warranty division.

So the statistics say, No scag Hydro has EVER FAILED due to a sulky related issue.
0% failure rate.
IF it DID, maybe they would deny the warranty claimÂ… but it never has happened, according to him.

#200 ·
#201 ·
your rep is "technically" wrong.

Here's the skinny.

I used to work P/T for Dane Scag, after he left metal craft, as a result, I know a few blokes in the industry just by association, even some over at his former alma mater, Metalcraft.

In the 22 years I've been in landscaping, I've seen more scag Wbs WITH sulkys than without.

I was looking at outfitting one of the companies I work with, with a upgrade fleet to scag walk behinds with sulkies last year.

So I began talking to the dealer when he fed me this line "Attaching sulkies to wbs will void the warranty"
N00B!
Right?

Well not exactly.

called a 'buddy' at metal craft and asked him "What GIVES"?

And he confirmed that it's 'technically' true, that scags, in the literature say not to attach a sulky to the machine.

HOWEVER the also said they have NEVER since he has been working there at SCAG (which is WELL over a decade) refused a warranty on a hydro because of a sulky related issue and that he/they are well aware of all the sulkies on scags world wide.
I was talking to the head of the warranty division.

So the statistics say, No scag Hydro has EVER FAILED due to a sulky related issue.
0% failure rate.
IF it DID, maybe they would deny the warranty claimÂ… but it never has happened, according to him.
My unit has a label on back that shows where to mount the sulky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.