1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scags tiger cub clutch

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Greenatthis, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Greenatthis

Greenatthis LawnSite Member
    from Texas

My clutch won't engage unless the engine is at least at 1/2 throttle. Is this bad?
  2. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

The clutch wont engauge or it kills the machine? What engine, how many hours?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

HUH,say it again.
  4. Greenatthis

Greenatthis LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I won't engage. The engine runs fine. 23hp kawasaki. it has 558 hours on it.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You better check to see if you got some type of spindle problem - like maybe you bent a bolt and the spindle is dragging. Take off the belt and spin the spindles to be sure they are okay.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I had that happen on a John Deere one time. Wasnt long until the clutch wouldnt work at all. I think they call it the ''Air Gap'' it may need adjusting, it might have too much of a gap and the magnet isnt strong enough to engage. When you rev up the motor it makes the voltage higher which makes the magnet stronger to engage the clutch. Thats what the mechanic told me, I found that out after the clutch was bad