Scale drawings?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by germann, Aug 27, 2007.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

When doing quotes on residential systems-up to 20k sqft, do you do scale drawings of the property with head placement, etc. If not, how detailed do you get, and how do you arrive at a quote. Also, what do you show the customer with your bid? We are starting irrigation and did a 5 zone system by just doing rough stepping. It worked well, especially since you usually have to improvise anyway and the job was small. However, I can see future trouble -pulling pipe out of sequence or forgetting to pull wire with pipe.

2. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

You can "show" the drawings and detailed parts lists, but I would not "give" that will a free quote.

3. Do your layout, but don't give it as part as your estimate. Your time is money.

As far as price goes, unless it's a spec job, I have never listed how many heads, zones ect... however, with the included price I might say, only professional grade components such as Hunter or RainBird products to be used or all pipe to be schedule 40 PVC no class 200 PVC or all pipe and fittings at p.o.c to be brass and not galvenized....more so as a selling point and to help make me different than other installers.

Once a contract is signed however, then at that point I would present a drawing before work starts. Heck of a way to clear up mis-conceptions and letting your clients what to expect.

Spec jobs, well all you're doing there is seeing if you can get the parts cheaper than the other guy and willing to work cheaper than the next competitor.

My nickle and dime thoughts.

4. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

What's a quote? :laugh: We generally just provide "not to exceed" (NTE) numbers based on their budget/scope and ask for the deposit...

I do scale drawings but they are included in the numbers (T&M). Did I mention I looooovvveee design/build?