Scalp cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimmy348, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

This is my first season and i have read several posts on a "scalp cut". Exactly what is this and when should i start to lower the height of the cut (central new jersey)

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Scalping is like a crew cut.

You start to lower the height as the weather cools.

What is your cutting height now?
    Anway stay where you are now, cause there is still summer weather to deal with in September.

At around October you can start to lower at 1/4 inch intervals. If your mower has height adjustment in 1/4 inch increments.

Lower once and cut for a couple weeks, then lower again, cut for a couple weeks.

Stay here at LawnSite. We will be coming across that topic in the future.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

From what I understand, people who work with warm season grasses will give a scalp cut in the spring. It is supposed to make the grass green up sooner. Not sure if that is true though since we don't deal with warm season grasses.

And yeah, we too will lower the cutting height close to the end of the cutting season, but we don't refer to it as a scalp cut. We just lower it from 3 inches down to 2 and 1/2.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I will elaborate on scalping warm season grasses. I have about a dozen scalping customers. My customers says that it greens their lawn quicker, but I have fescue, so I am not certain. I know at times after I get done scalping there are green shoots exposed (sometimes). All I can really say is that it's a dirty, filthy job that pays well

MATT.

5. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Different topic but Stay here at LawnSite. We will be coming across that topic in the future.

6. Blant blant tada ta.......

Great help wiith topic.......

Cut it as low as mower will go to cut off the dormant plant tissue.

I do not do this.

7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

OK folks, don't know about all areas or all grasses, but aren't there some negative issues about scalping, as in really shouldn't do that?

Important issue being the fact that it gives weeds/weed seeds a real chance to propagate?

8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

The reason why you can cut a bit lower in the fall is because the grass plants change their growth structure.

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Cadet..................

Don't ever quote me!

You can't comprehend what you read, that is not my freakin problem. Pay Attention and keep Silent Cadet

"This is my first season and i have read several posts on a "scalp cut". Exactly what is this and when should i start to lower the height of the cut (central new jersey)"

Do you understand what his question is???
    No you don't!!

10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Ouch! That's one way to put it gently GLAN. lol