Scalped

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shu_Dog, May 6, 2004.

1. Shu_Dog

Shu_Dog LawnSite Member

New to the business - So I thought I would get your thoughts on this one:

On an acount yesterday and I layed my blades down on the custumers lawn and left (2) 18" diameter scalped spots on his grass. I have a Metro 36 with a fixed deck.

Customer is out of town until Friday. I was wondering if I should:
    1.) Apologize, Offer the cut for free due to the damage.
    2.) Apologize, Offer a reduced price.
    3.) Apologize, Let him know it won't happen again.

What would you all do?

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

#3. Also, let him know you that you know what caused the problem and have fixed it.

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Used to happen all the time for us, customers never really cared but we would apologize and went on.

4. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Go with option #3, but if he really complain give him a reduced rate.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would recommend that you fix whatever caused the problem to begin with. Offer a very nice apology stating it will never happen again and if they are still very upset reduce the charge for them on that one cutting.

Gravely_Man

6. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't offer reduced price, say it won't happen again and apologize sincerely.

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to watch my 36" wb on some surfaces. Every time I get a new job, some little contour or other lets me know it's too small to be handle even by a pee-wee 36 and out comes the 22".

You'll get the hang of each job, Shu, and in the meantime, if they say anything, just apologize and tell them it won't happen again.

8. I take the weed eater and blend in the edges of the scalped spot. Then I find a few handfuls of clippings and sprinkle over the spot until the dirt doesn't show.
    It's still spring so it ought to grow out by the next time you mow.
    An apology is all I'd offer for non-permanent damage, and that's only if it's really obvious.
    I ain't saying I wouldn't give cash concessions to keep a customer, but I wouldn't offer it without their prompting it first.

Dave

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Like Dave above said, I would smooth it out with the weed eater. Everybody blows it now and then, so forget about it and press on.

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Do what Dave said, be sure to toss some clippings in the spot so it looks greener.

Did you take it to the dirt, or just where the grass is brown? If it is just brown, the grass there was just cut a bit deeper which is more shaded, it looks bad but is really no big deal. If you notice a depression there, you can appologize in a way, but also suggest leveling the low spot so no one will turn an ancle in the yard. That way you appear both responsible, and professional. In either event the grass will grow back.

Jay