Scalping for overseeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EagleLandscape, Sep 1, 2007.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I picked up a commercial account that has a 1 acre front yard that will be overseeded in abo0ut the next month or so. I've always used my 21" mowers with bags to do our residential stuff, but I'm wondering what would be the most effecient way to do this 1 acre.

I've got a 48 ztr, should i just scalp it and then have my guys come around and rake it? But geez, thats gonna be a crapload of work.

Suggestions? How much do bagger kits normally run for 48s?

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know what type of soil you're dealing with there. If it's sandy and loose, maybe you're OK with doing something that crude, assuming you get enough of the choking vegetation out of the way, as you said. Up here in Buckeye land, you have to break the clayish soil with at least a weighted and spiked drag mat to make any real difference. The real way to do it is with a Harley Rake if you can find one.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

There is no easy way....but take your 48" and start in middle and work outword...in other words when you end up you will have a big row of debris in the middle. Then send on the rake and bag boys ...it dont' really take that long we do many many that way each year. We usually cut off water 3 weeks before we strip and cut it lower and lower prior to strip. AFter the rake team finishes then we use a bagger units to finish...you could work it toward the middle a second time and rake then use the 21" to finish bagging. We have two big bagging units (Scag Cougar and WAlker and it definitely is not faster to try bagging it with those units before stripping.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

try using your clippings as a mulch/cover for your newly planted seeds. And remember to keep them wet once down

5. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

why dont you get a slit seeder?? but depends on how bad the lawn looks.

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

The turf is in pretty good condition. It's the front yard to the Weathmatic factory in garland. I do however, love the idea of cutting off the irrigation water prior to scalping. I know that will greatly help out. The other week they switched irrigation days to the morning that I was mowing. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why my mower was leaving such a mess. Soon to realize that the system had come on a few hours before I arrived.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't want any trash on top at all.....water three times a day and it is up in about 5 - 7 days. This is commonly done all over the south ....it is our fall ritual like leaf blowing/sucking is up north.

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Have you ever tried it? I have much better germination this way and its easier to keep damp. Come on, think outside the box, give it a try.

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

We do this for year round green. Bermuda (typically) in the summer and rye in the winter; makes for year round mowing, minus a two week growth window after planting in the fall.

10. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

so you guys burn the grass all the way down and then reseed it? and then do it again in the spring? im from michigan so i must say i am a bit confused