Scalping on purpose?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lovdasnow, Apr 20, 2005.

1. lovdasnow

lovdasnow LawnSite Member

Alrighty, I hate the idea, but I have been seeing a lot of guys around here doing this very thing. I don't like to power rake(dethatch) much because it seems to really encourage the poa.

So, I had a customer insist on me scalping his lawn, and it's been a coulple weeks now, and it is looking pretty good. A lot of the thatch areas are gone.

So, any experiance, or reccommendations? thanks....jon

2. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Some people around around me do that. The thing is they do it every time they cut the grass. Burn it right down.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I once read somewhere that the first time you mow a lawn for the season you should cut it down extra low, because it helps it green up faster. Maybee its true.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Scalping will make it green up quicker, but it's not done traditionally to cool season grasses. Here is a pic of the amount of grass that comes off a zoysia lawn when scalped at 1.5". It's a slow process, hard on the motor and just a down right filthy job, but it pays good......and it should! Typically I average over $100 per hour for this service. The lawn greens up sooner because you allow more sunlight in, which it turns warms the soil. I don't get many request for scalping cool season grasses (I live in a transition zone), but a few each year. My scalping clients are mostly elderly people and are VERY anal about it. They HAVE to have their lawn scalped each spring.

Pile(2).jpg

5. walker-talker

from Midwest

Here is another angle.

Pile(1).jpg

6. walker-talker

from Midwest

And one more pic of the truck that I use to load and haul it off with. It only take me about 15 minutes to load all that grass. I can fit about 3 of these large piles in the truck.

Grain Truck Complete.jpg

7. lovdasnow

lovdasnow LawnSite Member

wow thats a lot of crap to haul off!

thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on this lawn and maybe will start to do it more often if it works out....

8. TeamFla

TeamFla LawnSite Member

walker-talker,

how long did it take too mow/bag/dump that yard? guess the back yard is decent size too? nice rig to dispose of that, would of been real nice to have here last hurricane season.

9. walker-talker

from Midwest

Right around 11,000 sq ft. Took about 2 hours and 15 minutes to scalp, vac and cleanup and paid $225.

10. mommacutz

mommacutz LawnSite Member

I never knew what the scalping was. Thanks for the info. I have hearding of cutting it low for the first cut of the season though but do you still need to rake it out first?