Scalping Price Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AuburnGuy, Feb 28, 2004.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I have never scalped a yard before. I have a customer that wants her yard scalped. I will be doing this with a toro 21 push. Her weekly price is $60 and it takes an hour to mow, edge, and blow. How long do you guys think it may take? Is $180 a good price, or will i get burned at that? She has already told me its a hard job. What height should i cut at 3/4"or 1 1/4"?

2. tree

tree LawnSite Member
    from nc

why are you scalping the lawn ?

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I do short mows on all of my accounts every spring. They take at least twice the time. My route takes three weeks for one week of lawns with edging and getting the blown in leaves etc.
    If the lawn hasn't been cut short recently I would not attempt 3/4 inch, way to much time and hard on your crank seals. 1 inch or so, what ever you can get away with that will still bag.

4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

How many sqft? Do you have to haul the grass off? How high are you mowing it now? Is it bermuda?

5. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

scalp the grass:confused: :confused: why on earth would she wantd this.. i could see maybe doing this in the spring on the first cut to expose and loosen the thatch. (cheap way of dethatching)
    well whatever makes the $$$$$ then i guess do it. but you may want to consider this. when a person or multiple persons drive by and see you doing this, they are going to think this is the way you do things and remember your name. it could bring up some bad publicity.. i don't know there might be something good in doing this i never heard of it though. just figure a good charge and then jack it up for extra clippings and extra wear and tear on the mower.. good luck

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Short mows make a wonderfully green lawn in the spring if you do them just before the grass comes out of dormacy. It removes most of all dead shoots and lets the soil warm up faster. Next cut raise mower at least 1/2 inch. You see nothing but green all year long because your way above that brown thatch or mat level.

7. launboy

from indiana

ah i read the thread wrong i thought it was saying she wanted cut weekly like that....i understand the first cut of spring is short i have some clients who like that too...but some people get spooked by the phrase "scalp the lawn" so i just leave it up them

8. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys sorry for the late response. I'm scalping becuase she is my best customer and that's what she wants. The Yard is probably 8-9K square feet. The lawn was cut at 2" last year. Is 3 times the normal price a fair price?
    thanks for the replies.

9. launboy

from indiana

sounds pretty good

10. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

if you scalp a lawn you have made a mistake. find a different word for it.