Scalping Prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Benchmark, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Benchmark

Benchmark LawnSite Member

How much do you charge for scalping a yard? Double what you would normally do it for?

2. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Eh? Scalping a yard? Why would you do that? They want you to do that?
    I have never heard of doing that for pay, I have done it by mistake in a couple spots on a yard, but never on purpose. Why scalp it?

:cool:

3. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

Who in their right mind would want that done to there yard all there going to do is wreck it. Hopefully you have the wrong word in your post.

4. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I think he means either to cut much more than 1/3 off as in to take 8" of grass down to 2" or to cut a lawn down to almost nothing for reseeding. Some books advise homeowners to cut the grass down as low as possible before re-seeding. They forget to explain the dangers of this ( rocks thrown, blade damage or even worse. The best you can do is try to educate the customer as to the proper way of doing things.

5. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Most people up North do not have a clue about scalping Bermuda. If the client is on your schedule then I would drop the deck with each service, and not charge any extra. If it is a one time deal I would go high on the price because of the bagging, dump fee, and not to mention wear and tear on machine. I hope the turf you are talking about is Bermuda. Yoou do not want to scalp Zoysia.

Many wonder what will scalping bermuda do? Well for one thing it will green up faster. It will become more dense, and also look better. The trick is to try to keep bermuda short. Common sense if you are on a 2 week cutting cycle you will not be able to maintain Bermuda right. Even once per week is not enough. In Bama people will not pay me for cutting turf every 3-4 days. By the end of the season Most of my Bermuda will be at 2-21/2".
    Right now my deck on bermuda is as low as it will go 1" and even this is not scalping it unless I hit a dip.

today we were able to bag our first load of green grass in the hopper and the smell is awesome.

6. Benchmark

Benchmark LawnSite Member

In Oklahoma the main grass is bermuda and at the beginning of every season homeowners want their yards scalped(cut at about an inch in heighth)To get the thatch out and prepare the grass for the growing season. It's more like taking 3.5" of grass down to 1". This is commonly done along with spring clean up. Most people will pay around double for the service. As you can imagine this takes about twice as long, very dirty, and extremely grueling on the equipment. I was wondering what eveybody else was charging. I guess in other parts of the country this is not practiced.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Whats wrong with just blasting it with fert? As you can tell I am one of those damn northerners. Wouldn't fert make it just as green? :confused:

8. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

I HATE scalping lawns!!! But it is a neccessary evil in this part of the country.

I usually charge 3 X's the normal rate. Yes, it may take twice as long. But, due to the strain on the equipment and ME the price is 3 X's more!!!

9. The Plant Poet

The Plant Poet LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

At least 3x's the normal cost. Espeacily if it's a one time deal. I only take mine down 1/2" at a time, every week to reduce wear and tear on the machine. I start the first of March, the lawns look great for the entire month and by the end of March there down to 1" and ready to grow.

10. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I lit mine up today......

On fire that is. Easiest scalp job Ive ever done.