1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scalping the yard? accident

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bleach, Jun 5, 2007.

1. bleach

bleach LawnSite Member
    from VA

Using a Hustler Mini Z with 52" deck.
    I have the "scalping wheels" in the correct postion.
    I noticed when I cut from the road to the house that the grass near the road is getting scalped.
    I made the first pass going around along the yard.
    I'm wondering what pass would have scalped the yard? Toward the road or when I made the first cut?
    I thought the scalp wheels would have protected any of this?
    Is there anything I can do(besides by a new Z, I've read how some people dislike the Hustler)
    Thanks for any suggestions
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Learn how to mow??? I don't know. Just because a deck has the anti-scalp wheels, doesn't mean it won't scalp. You still have to read the terrain and mow accordingly.
  3. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

I don't know too much about Hustler mowers. Surely, all that needs to be done is a simple adjustment, and you should be fine. Just because there are "scalping wheels" does not mean you can not still scalp a yard. Scalping wheels as I understand are helpful when going over minor humps/bumps in the yard. The wheels help the deck roll over the uneven area a little easier. I've mowed several different types of grass and all lawns are different, and for me, it's just a judgment call as far as what height the mower should be set on. Very rarely do I scalp a yard (or part of a yard), unless there is an unseen uneven part. If you are ever unsure, always better to start mowing high and then lower the deck as necessary until you feel comfortable with the height. Good luck and I wouldn't quit with your Huster mower just yet.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yup sounds like uneven terrain.......the road is higher than the rest there will be a valley there..... you will have to learn how to mow, So NOT to get that line,,, and scalp
  5. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought and new toro z and it took a little while to get used to bumps and holes. I had been using an exmark walk behind. I scalped a few yards until I got use to using the mower over bumps, holes and hills. If it's a rough yard, I raise the deck.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Eventually you'll learn your properties (hopefully) and know where the dips and high spots are.

UNTIL THEN though, you'll need to either 1) go really slow and careful, or 2) learn how to read the ground. I used to do grading and I'm pretty good at reading the ground/grade and picking up any dips/high spots.

I also keep my right foot on the deck lift pedal. Doing this serves two purposes: 1) It allows you to raise the deck fast if there is a reason to do so (sudden high spot), and 2) when resting your foot on the pedal you can feel the deck rise if there is a high spot.

I also raise the deck at turns on some properties that MIGHT scalp.

Good luck.