Scalping with 72" deck

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by nielsorj, Apr 22, 2006.

1. nielsorj

nielsorj LawnSite Member

PJ

In one of the forums you commented that a 66" deck wouldn't scalp as badly as a 72" deck. Is there a substantial difference in the two? I wouldn't think that a 6" width difference (9% over a 66") would make that much difference. Is the scalping because of the width of the deck or because of increased front-to-back distance?

Also, a local deal related to me that a professional mower had ordered a 72" deck, used it one time, and brought it back for a 60". I'm wondering if a 72" deck is really too big for a homeowner with 4 wide-open acres to mow??

Ron

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The width and the depth of a 72" will make it prone to scalping on anything but a flat lawn.
    Funny thing is I see commercial operators using 72" mowers on anything from postage stamp lawns to huge acreage type accounts, it depends on the operator and the lawn (hills, holes, dips etc..etc...)

3. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 66" will not scalp nearly as much or at all compared to the 72" due to it smaller width and length.

Pj

4. Distorted

Distorted LawnSite Platinum Member

The 66" will fit many more trailers than a 72", too.

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have no idea how this can be possible but my new 66" XR-7 deck will not scalp the places that my 60" deck use to, maybe PJ can shed some light on this. I have not had it even attempt to scalp anything and I really don't understand a wider deck not scalping where the more narrow deck would in certain places.

6. Distorted

Distorted LawnSite Platinum Member

Wider wheel base on your new Super Z, perhaps?

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

All XR-7 model units now have the deck "centered" on the frame, where previous models were not, this would be one reason, another would be due to frame changes in the front caster wheel placement and you also have a different wheelbase in the rear compared to your old unit.

Pj

8. nielsorj

nielsorj LawnSite Member

Well, I ended up buying the 72" deck with the 28EFI engine and am very pleased with the unit.

For my particular situation, there isn't any noticeable scalping with the 72" deck - and it actually scalps less than my previous 46" deck did (perhaps because the 46" deck has worn the high points down a little??). The XR7 deck gives a BEAUTIFUL cut, even at high speeds. I cut a couple of strips at full speed and compared them to strips cut at about 1/3 speed and really couldn't tell the difference. I was amazed. Mowing time for my lawn went from 3 or 4 hours to about an hour, which was just what I was hoping the 72' deck would do for me.

Fewer passes, less mowing, smooth cut. Now, If I could only get the wife to do all the trimming!!

Ron

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Sounds great!
    Welcome to the family!!
    And good luck on the wife doing the trimming.....lol....lol...

Pj