Scalping?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Newbie07, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

Hey yo guys i have a question. First off, I live in DFW, Texas and its still in the mid 80's here. Im stilling cutting grass and figure i will through October but some guys around here are cutting there grass what looks to be about an inch lower than usual. Why are they doing this?? I mean the yards are brown and they hauld off at least 5 trashbags more like 10 from each yard. This is my first full year in lawn maintenance and Im confused as to why they are doing this, and should I? Thanks you guys

Travis

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

They are getting ready to plant winter rye grass. We started lowering the cut height last week and we cut off the water this week and continuing dropping the height. In addition to dropping the height we begin to use bagging machine to take off trash, can't wait for it to degrade. Next week we will strip it completely down to the dirt and rake/bag it all up. Then we plant rye and take a couple weeks off until we start mowing again, the we mow through the winter.

3. Newbie07

Newbie07 LawnSite Member

wow, now that is very interesting and thank you very much for the response. Thats yearly income too, smart. cool Thanks man

Travis