Scamper problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danlawnser, Apr 28, 2001.

1. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

My Great Dane Scamper is having problems. When I get in thicker grass the blades like kick off and then back on. The steering lever is down so the safety isn't stopping the blades. The blade clutch kicks in and then it cuts off and the blades start again. It does fine in less thick grass. I would be greatful for your help. It is a 14 kaw on a 48in.
  2. danlawnser

The problem was that the 14 kaw. was bouging down too much because it couldn't handle double blades. I would rather run double blades. I was wondering if anyone with a Scag or a Dane hydro walk behind with a 14 kaw. on a 48 inch cut have had this problem and have had to go back to singles.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

you might try using a lighter blade made for a
    homeowner model.also try standard blade combo.
    good luck
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I just replaced my center spindle on my 48" Scamper, not sure if doubles had anything to do with it. Mine ran ok with them but I think the cut quality suffered due to decreased blade speed. I like the cut the high lift blades give best, maybe try that.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Danny, are you suggesting that the excessive power requirement caused the clutch to disengage, then engage? Or, or you suggesting that the decreased speed had something to do with the problem?
  6. danlawnser

It wasn't the clutch. It just sounded like the clutch. The engine was having to work to hard. That was the problem.
  7. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 14hp 48" hydro Scamper. I use single gator blades and have never ever had a problem with it bogging down. The gators cut great, don't really NEED doubles, wouldn't mind them though. Maybe it's just your mower, or maybe you can't go 7 MPH through TALL grass(slow down).