Scamper questions

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by brucec32, Mar 30, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Considering a 48" 17hp Scamper as a backup for my ZTR, a rainy day mower for when the ground's too soft for the ZTR, and for slopes and smaller properties.

I have a few questions if you have the time:

1. Do you think there's enough clearance to upgrade the standard 16x6.5x8 tires to the 18x7.5x8 size found on the pistol grip version?

2. What is the general range of height adjustment using front caster spacers only while still maintaining a good cut quality? My highest cut is at 3.5", but I"d like to be able to hit something near 2" when required, but mostly it would be 2.5". I can't afford the downtime to be changing blade spacers or moving the axle between jobs, of course.

3. Am I right to assume that the short wheelbase of the scamper would lead to less front/back scalping situations vs. my longer toro 32" two blade unit?

4. Any idea of the blade tip speed on this unit? I hate clumping.

5. How deep is that deck?

6. Is there a real mulching kit available for this mower, or just a block off plate?

7. What is the negative effect of using blade spacers to raise cutting height (eg: all spacers removed to top of spindle instead of 3 above blade, raising the blade .75 in) I know having the blade set too low will cause blowout, but what does having it set high do?

Thanks

2. brucec32

Gee, thanks for the reply. I guess I can scratch Great Dane off my short list now.

Funny, Exmark always gets right on my questions.

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto,
    Maybe Exmark spoiled us.... but if you are going to have a sponsor forum, stay on top of it.
    How does a manufacturer build sales....one at a time!

4. Bill Baltzer

Bill Baltzer Great Dane Representative
    from NC

Gentlemen,
    We apologize for the delay, an answer will be forth-coming.
    Thanks,
    bb

5. Bill Baltzer

from NC

We aplogize for the length of time needed to answer the question. I submitted your request to our tech department to give you the correct response, and not shoot from the hip. Below is your question, with the response below it.

Please keep in mind the answers to your questions was for the "Loop" style Scamper, not the Scamper HG.

Thanks for your email!!

1. Do you think there's enough clearance to upgrade the standard 16x6.5x8 tires to the 18x7.5x8 size found on the pistol grip version?

We recommend the mower not be altered but be kept in the original state so it will perform as designed.

2. What is the general range of height adjustment using front caster spacers only while still maintaining a good cut quality? My highest cut is at 3.5", but I"d like to be able to hit something near 2" when required, but mostly it would be 2.5". I can't afford the downtime to be changing blade spacers or moving the axle between jobs, of course.

A premium cut is obtained when the blade tip forward tilt is 0" to 1/4". Alterations of cutting height where this dimension is negative will result in poor performance. It is obvious from your questions that you are a person who is aware of idiosyncrasies in mower performance and what can cause different results. I suggest that the amount of thatch in a yard, the amount of air in the tires, the individual settings that can be made and the type of grass being mowed all have an effect on the height of cut. It would be best to work with your machine in your circumstances to decide what is available. The range you describe is possible without changing axle or spacers but it will be real close.

3. Am I right to assume that the short wheelbase of the scamper would lead to less front/back scalping situations vs. my longer toro 32" two blade unit?

You are correct, shorter the wheel base, less front/back scalping. You have also gained precious inches in trailer space.

4. Any idea of the blade tip speed on this unit? I hate clumping.

Blade tip speed is slightly under the 19,000 fpm maximum set by ANSI

5. How deep is that deck?

The depth is 4.82".

6. Is there a real mulching kit available for this mower, or just a block off plate?

It depends on your definition of "real". In our opinion we do have a mulching kit which is more than a block off plate. It does use the standard blades and the part number is D26055. The list price is $269.00.

7. What is the negative effect of using blade spacers to raise cutting height (eg: all spacers removed to top of spindle instead of 3 above blade, raising the blade .75 in) I know having the blade set too low will cause blowout, but what does having it set high do?

On our mowers setting the blade low will give a high quality cut, as you raise the blade into the housing you diminish the blades ability to lift the grass and give the grass a clean cut. In other words the lower the blades the more likely you are to have a "table top flat" cut in the yard.

6. brucec32

Thanks for the replies. Sorry if I pulled the trigger too fast, but the majority of my information requests to equipment manufacturers have gone unanswered recently. It's been getting ridiculous. And unfortunately, getting accurate detailed info like this from ANY brand's dealers is just about impossible. They're just not well-trained enough in my experience, and tend to give innacurate information or just guess at times. So it's really important when selecting equipment to be able to get this stuff straight from the horse's mouth. I would suggest having someone type up a FAQ and very detailed spec sheets on your company website. It might save having to answer all these individual emails and questions.

7. Bill Baltzer

from NC

A very good suggestion!! I will run in by our marketing department.

8. John Joensen

John Joensen LawnSite Member

Buucec32:

Thanks for the suggestion. We currently have more detailed spec sheets prepared if you would like us to e-mail them to you we can. I will look into having them posted on our web-site but this may take some time.

Thanks

JMJ