'scaping around an inground pool

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Grn Mtn, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

what would you do if hardscaping around a 'to-be-built' pool? do you wait till the water is in? do you glue coping pieces at the edge? looking for some thoughts since I haven't done around a pool before.
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

It would depend on several things; what kind of access, what kind of hardscaping, backfill issues, etc, etc, etc.

Usually wait until the pool is in place (sides shot/built), then work with/around the pool company on the rest. If the sides are up, then you should be fine starting to do your work, especially if its a gunnite pool.

Coping should be done by the pool company. I wouldn't want to touch that job at all...
  3. Grn Mtn

great tip, thank you:waving:

I meet with the client next week to get details and they said the pool company is happy to help since they will have some heavy equip on site already.
    I know its a Foxx in-ground pool, so its quality.
  4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

If it's a new pool, being built, usually the pool contractor will handle the coping installation.

And the coping install will depend on what type of inground pool it is.

I like flagstone copings. In the picture directly below, we replaced the pool deck with pavers and WE installed the flagstone. Looks SWEET, dont it!

5. Grn Mtn

great pict, do you have to be careful with tamping near the pool edge? How do you keep dust or debris out of the pool while putting in the pavers?(or is the pool not filled yet) what slope do you use away from the pool (1" to 10'?

Thanks for the reply's
  6. D Felix

Unless you have some really heavy compaction equipment, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Stay away from the pool edge with any large equipment unless absolutely necessary.

If any substaintial fill is needed, I'd look pretty hard at flowable fill (we had a thread on it in the last month or two)- it goes in fast and you save a LOT of time and labor.

Debris isn't usually an issue, because the pool usually isn't finished yet. However if it is, keep the pool cover closed as much as possible, and work *with* the wind. Stress to the customer that the cover *needs* to be closed- i.e.- no swimming while you are working. Nothing more frustrating than having the customer getting PO'ed at you for dust in the pool after they come out and open the cover... Been there, done that. :rolleyes:

Slope needs to be away from the pool, generally 1-2% is adequate, same as a normal patio install.
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Not trying to hijack a thread or anything, but while we are on the topic. What are you guys doing on steel walled pools, no gunite. Is the force of flowable fill too much in this situation? I havent come across the issue yet, but I do know there are companies around here that use beams instead of gunite with a liner.
  8. D Felix

Don't know; haven't had to deal with one yet. I've only worked around a couple of pools, and they've all been gunnite.

I'd probably consult pretty hard with the pool company as well as someone from my supplier/manufacturer before I did anything around *any* pool, lined, gunnite or otherwise. Each pool builder will probably want things done in a slightly different manner. It'll happen eventually (at least it has in my experience), but you probably don't wan to p*ss off the pool company owner from the get-go. :laugh:
  9. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

if it is a liner pool it will look like this underneath

100_0131 (WinCE).jpg

100_0140 (WinCE).jpg

100_0193 (WinCE).jpg
  10. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

For your question about keeping dust out of a pool when your laying pavers, I'm not sure I know the answer to that ha. Last three pool jobs my company did the pool ended up looking like crap after, especially when you put the polmeric sand in and blow the excess off with a blower. As for compacting near the coping I found the easiest way to do it is to set the paver really close to exact with the coping and going over it with the compactor but with a piece of carpet over the paver. I don't know if this helped. Pools are tough jobs especially when you have a huge area of disturbed soil your chances for settling are really up there. I've had to fix alot of the pool my company had done from 5-10 years ago due to settling and frost heaves. good luck