Scare tactics!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Mar 12, 2007.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got a flyer from some dirtbag landscaping co. Tomorrow I'm going to a pay phone. He advertised weed and insect control. I'm gonna ask for his license #, insurance, and consumer affairs # posing a customer. He doesn't mention being certified, licensed, or insured. If he's not I hope it scares the crap out of him when I call hime back later as Mr. Smith from the department of regulations after I check his cert # on the website.(I'll make up some bogus title so as not to be impersonating anyone!). I won't call anyone official or report anything I just want to mess with illegal operators and pesticide applicators for messing with my livelihood and illegally spreading chemicals without propoer training. War begins now. Be warned. Maybe I'm kidding, maybe I'm not.

2. Young Lawn Boy

Young Lawn Boy LawnSite Member

wow your going to scare the crap outta him

3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to mind your business or anything, but wouldn't your time be better spent cleaning, stacking, filing or anything else that pertains to YOUR business?

4. hdhillin

hdhillin LawnSite Member

Why don't you just take the flyer to the city or county offce who regulates this stuff? That is after you make the call to the guy who passed out the flyer. Some inspectors love messing with those type of guys. Plus you can gain their confedance and get on their good side.

5. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like someone has to much time and nothing better else to do

6. lawnguyland

Bingo! I'm bored. I'm sure I won't really do it, but it's fun to think about.

7. lawnguyland

I'm all done cleaning.
    By undercutting and operating illegally they are directly affecting my business. That's why I care. I spend vast amounts of $ and time to operate legimately. Will I actually do it? Probably no, though I came real close to calling dec on some jerk that likes to spread carbaryl (insect killer) all over the sidewalks and street which then washes into ground water or into local bodies of water. That makes me mad. I still didn't do anything because who wants to be a rat. Scaring the guy is a lot different than turning him in.

8. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I see your point and agree with you about putting the scare into him, But I would much rather focus on more important things

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Do it!!!!! That's funny as heck. I would like to do stuff like that, but I lack the motivation I guess.

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you can look up his pesticide license online I'm sure. he should have a B-# even if he subcontracts it out to another company. In CT if you advertise pest. work you must list your license # and b-# on the ad. CT DEP also has an anonymous tip line.