Scared to Death

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Sep 16, 2008.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Holy crap! My heart is still pounding. I am sitting in my truck outside this lady's house right now writing up her landscaping bid. But I gotta tell you all what just happened.

So it's just my typical day; driving around doing errands, overseeing jobs in progress, and giving bids. I arrive here at my 3:00 appt. and knock on the door. No answer.....which is weird because I saw cars in the driveway and the garage door open.

Let me go back for a minute and explain that the door is hidden about 10' under the roofline. There is this kinda dark little hallway before you arrive at the front door to the house. So I am sitting there waiting by the door and I decide to step back 10' into the light and just wait there. After about a minute of waiting, I hear a THUMP at the front door. Ok. That's a little odd. But I think to myself, "Maybe it's a lady in a wheelchair and she just hit the door. I've had that happen before. So I step a little closer to the door now, in this dark hallway, waiting for her to open the door. I hear a few more strange THUMPs. Then the door begins to open super slowly. I am still thinking she's disabled or in a wheelchair and having trouble opening the door. So now I step right up to the dark door to see if I can help. This is where I just about jumped out of my skin.

The door opens about 12" and I see this freak wearing a gas mask and dressed in all black. And he doesn't say a freakin' word.

Now keep in mind, I still have this story in the back of my mind that I was reading last night. I found it on the Drudge Report;

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1692637.ece

So this freak is just staring at me in a gas mask and I am now thinking, "Wow. I am about to die right now." I didn't know what to think. So many thoughts were going through my head. So I finally composed myself, stepped back a few feet, and said, "Hello?" He said, "Yes..." and I replied, "Ummmm....Is Jeannie there?" And he says, "Hold on." A minute later this nice older lady comes out like nothing happened and all of a sudden I am just giving a normal estimate.

I guess she has some freak of a son who likes to scare the **** out of guests. I don't know. But it sure worked. WTF???!!!!??!!!!

I just about had a heart attack.

Here is kinda what he looked like...

gasmask.jpg

2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe he and granny were getting freaky with the latex suit and mask. Kink is alive and well.

3. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Whoa thats wierd, at least you were alright and it wasn't a robber or anything. And that story's dusgusting.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Maybe he was the termite man:laugh:

5. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Awww...he was just gettin in some practice for Halloween.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe Grams had Mexican/refried beans for supper?:)

Really though, should have asked the dude what he was trying to prove.

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Let me set the standard straight about what I am about to say: I mean no disrespect to you. Now let me get this right. A guy wearing a gas mask and black clothing was enough to scare the living @#$% out of you? I may have been slightly startled at best, but about to crap my pants? No. It sounds like you may be under too much stress. Do what you need to relax. Seriously. Make a day trip to the ocean and back. Fly a kite while you're there. Take someone you know with you. When you get home, enjoy a glass of wine while star-gazing. Go to sleep before 10pm, and sleep in the next day. You'll feel like a million bucks and be supercharged for work.

8. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

It would've scared the crap outta me, it's just not a typical thing you see.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Why do I somehow think of "Vic", the character that Dan Aykroyd played on the movie "Neighbors".

10. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

bring out the gimp!