1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scared to death

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevor8, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Trevor8

Trevor8 LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I just finished up mowing and go into the back yard to weed eat. The back yard has a small garden, and a playground. I was by one tree and the playground when i look over and then look back to see a snake less than a foot away from me. I think it fell out of the tree. I ran 10 feet away from the thing and it was just looking at me. I was scared $hitless. I don't want to go back because i hate snakes and i hope the house sells this week so i dont have to mow again. The snake was long and skinny it was black in color with at least on yellow stripe. That was the 3 time i have seen a snake in the wild in my life the other times were mowing last year, and fishing a few years back. I just knew that i would see a snake in the backyard of that house. I am going to tell the guy because if you are selling a house and you have people walking around the yard you dont want them to see a snake.
  2. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

Boo! If you were scared how do you think the snake felt? Running that noisy mower so close to him,probably half scared him to death!
  3. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

When I had a sulky on my 36'' exmark I would hit them and not even noticed. Seems like i would only see them if I was actually walking. One time I hit two in one back yard. The benefit is you have a mower, just stand back and hold the mower over where the snake is at. You will see them fly about 6ft to the right.
  4. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are scared of snakes, I would change jobs!
  5. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

We have a complex with a pond and next to the woods today alone we had 7 that we either ran over or cut up. I hate them to , if I know that they are there I'm ok but if it comes from under something all hell breaks out. Forgot how stright the stipes arew that snake must die
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Trevor8

from IA

This is the first one i have seen this year. It is very rare to see one in very populated areas in Iowa. I think if i keep seeing them i will adapt to being ok with them. The bad part was that i was weed eating and i dont think a string trimmer would of killed it. Same with me R&R if i know they are there and see them i will be ok but if they come out of nowhere that is what scares me the most.
  7. tmetz

tmetz LawnSite Member

Don't move to south florida, now we apparently are loaded up with burmese pythons! I see black snakes all the time when I am mowing. The other day we were swimming in the pool and a ring neck jumped in with us. Just grab them by the neck and put them where you want, they wont hurt you. As for rattle snakes, cotton mouths, etc... they suck!
  8. Trevor8

from IA

I bet it sucks in Florida I hear about pythons all the time down there. What is the biggest snake you have seen.
  9. head_start

head_start LawnSite Member

i dont have snake problems, we have spider problems. the yellow and black spiders that form colonies in the trees. just a little creepy, thats all. i usually have no problem with spiders, just when they turn an orchard into a colony.
  10. gunner4green

gunner4green LawnSite Member

Not to worry Trevor. I understand you are scared of snakes etc....however being up in Iowa, you have nothing to worry about. That was probably a Garter Snake, "Harmless" the females do get big and fat due to babies, but other than that your good to go. They very good to have around the house for bugs etc...they do like to shed and sun bathe on shrubs but thats about it. Sometimes you may even see a quite a bit bigger kind, called a "Bull Snake" but again "harmless". their size will intimadate you though. The only real threat in Iowa, are the water mocasins. If one or 2 bite ya thats not to bad, but if a whole school of them get ahold of ya you'll get real sick, and sometimes die. Other than that, you aint got a thing to worry about tho LOL LOL..My grand father used to get pissed if he hit a school of them in the yard sometimes LOL ....stay safe out there...